Your Favourite Feature "Amblimation"...?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

Which is your favourite animated feature produced by Amblin Entertainment?

An American Tail
21%
The Land Before Time
43%
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
7%
We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story
7%
The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure
No votes
Balto
No votes
Monster House
21%

Total votes: 14

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Your Favourite Feature "Amblimation"...?

Post by Uli » October 29th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 29th, 2006, 8:26 pm

American Tail all the way. Now that I'm older I see its flaws but I still think it's a stunning accomplishment in animation. I also think it's (by and large) brilliantly directed, even with the herky-jerky storytelling (introducing scenes and never letting them play out or pay off) That scene with Fieval getting separated from his family is really quite scary. Yeah Maltin is right when he says in his movie bible: "Why are there THREE climaxes?" (I guess he meant The Mouse of Minsk, THEN the fire, THEN Fieval getting found.)

But still....it's so beautiful, the score is amazing and best of all it's a top-grossing animated film that mentions CHANUKA! :D

And the characters: I still love them, they will always mean a lot to me. Some great voicework here, especially Philip Glasser as Fieval.

If you think about it was in some ways THIS film that triggered the Disney Renaissance, as it motivated the new managers to put more time, money and attention into animation.

Plus "Somewhere Out There" STILL plays on the radio from time to time--twenty years after the fact! :)

Land Before Time I think also has some wonderful moments and MAN that Horner score is amazing. IMO Tail and Land are up there with his best work, IF NOT his best work. It's a shame these scores don't get more recogniton...except with film/animation fans of course. I think both easily deserved an Oscar nom if not a win.

About SS: I'm still a die-hard Spielberg fan at heart, even with my criticism of him. He's just a genius plain and simple--and I mean a REAL genius, not just some Hollywood guy who gets called a genius but isn't.

He did some great stuff in animation too. I only wish that he hadn't parted ways with Bluth. They could have done some great stuff together.
Also, I know Steve had some input into Shrek, POE and maybe Antz, but it doesn't seem (from the surface at least) that he really involved himself much in DreamWorks Animation despite his earlier relationship with Bluth and everyone's hopes that he would. Which is a shame as well.
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 29th, 2006, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 29th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Oh my this is a tough choice :?

Personally its a tie between "The Land Before Time" and "Balto".

But I must choose :shock: ok....Land :P

Not only was it a heartwarming movie, but its been my favorite since I was very young. Not to mention I love all the sequels and I'm eagerly awaiting the 12th film and the tv series :D
---------
Balto is based on a true story. And the relationship between Rosie and Balto? Priceless....

The animation is very well done and the voices top notch, Kevin Bacon all the way :) though I missed his voice for the sequels sadly.

I dispised "Wolf Quest" so moving on..... Part 3 redeemed itslef big time! The music was so much better, and the love relationship with Boris and the girl goose (played by Jean Smart) was what the sequel needed. And Balto's son was way more interesting than his daughter.

It was also nice seeing a dog/sled race again, seeing as p2 totally dodged that.

Ill stop myself before I go overboard :wink:

But yes loved Balto and B3 =)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 30th, 2006, 4:58 am

Hmmm...are we talking Spielberg produced animated films, or actual "Amblimation" films that your title suggests?

If so, there were only ever three Amblimation films: FIEVAL GOES WEST, WE'RE BACK: A DINOSAUR'S STORY, and BALTO.

Of these, it has to be Balto. Fieval had wonderful animation but a lack of story, while We're Back had some spectacular visuals but no story at all and bombed big time. That was a shame for Balto, which took a cut in budget and eventually was not able to have the same light and shadows applied to it. It didn't hurt it that mucg, as it was still an amazingly animated movie, and this time they had a strong, solid story.

If we're leaning outside the Amblimation box, then you might have to include Roger Rabbit, or drop Monster House, seeing as they're very much of a kind when you think about it.

If so, I'd still point to AN AMERICAN TAIL, which has a lot of heart and, technical differences aside, remains the most rounded of Spieberg's animated ventures.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » October 30th, 2006, 5:34 am

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 30th, 2006, 10:38 am

I gotcha. ;)

Of the films listed in your poll, it's a toss up between Tail and Balto for me. Let me sleep on it. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 30th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Only vote for We're Back right here

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 30th, 2006, 6:14 pm

(feels stupid) Of those, I've only seen "Monster House", "Balto" and the two "Land Before Time" movies listed. I guess I shouldn't vote.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » October 30th, 2006, 11:25 pm

I love "American Tail," "Land Before Time," and "Balto" ...
hrm...

I'll vote Land Before Time because I've loved that one since I was tiny, though all of these are classics.

Balto has a great soundtrack and good animation (though as much as I love the film, it irks me that they say "based on a true story" when it'd be much more accurate to say "inspired by a true story...")

And American Tale has some great emotional scenes, though I never realized that it really does have three climaxes... haha. I don't think it makes it bad, but I also agree that there are a few things that probably should have been taken and developed a bit further. Oh well.

*cough* So yeah. Land Before Time for the win.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » October 31st, 2006, 6:33 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2006, 9:38 am

Ahh, somebody else remembers Lucky Luke! :)

Love those movies (well, the first two Studio Idefix ones anyway). My Dad got me into all those Belgian/French comic albums and the films they inspired, and the first Lucky Luke is perhaps the finest animated western ever crafted...they got everything right in that one.

BTW, I know what you mean (about being a kid again). When I said "Fieval had wonderful animation but a lack of story", it wasn't a slur on the movie. Jimmy Stewart is <I>pure gold</I> in Fieval Goes West and the smokey atmosphere is smashing. I'm just not mad on the episodic nature and the all-too-easily packed up in 30 seconds ending (what is it with those magical flowers!?), though the final Stewart dialogue is heartbreaking, especially considering it was his final role.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » October 31st, 2006, 1:04 pm

I don't like Feivel and Land before Times. And I don't know the others :oops: So I chose Monster House. :wink:
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 31st, 2006, 3:03 pm

Another vote for Land Before Time here. It makes me cry. :*C
Last edited by Meg on October 31st, 2006, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 31st, 2006, 4:22 pm

Alright Meg you made a great choice ;)

I to cried while watching LBT, but that was when I was younger :P

EDIT: what no sequel love? Part 2 was great! And it had Chopper :)
Last edited by Daniel on November 1st, 2006, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » November 1st, 2006, 4:36 pm