Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 12th, 2007, 12:09 pm

Melbourne, Australia?

If so, I would perhaps write to Disney Animation down there for local advice. They seem to have moved off traditional animation into CGI but handle the occasional "special project". It wouldn't hurt writing to them to learn about any places they may favor in taking people on board.

BTW, welcome to our forum! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 12th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Don't quit! Keep working hard on your current path while looking into the other. The number of people who are successful in getting into the field is so small that even if you were a great artist your chances wouldn't be great! You want to have a fallback position.

Good luck!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 12th, 2007, 4:56 pm

Yes.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 12th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Plus, other than being very intelligent (more so than many adults, I personally think age is horses***) fun and witty, Meg is an artist herself, and a VERY good one at that!
Hey, thanks, Vi! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » March 14th, 2007, 5:44 am

Thanks for the replies, guys :).

Ben- I did a search for Disney in Melbourne on google, but didn't come up with anything =/. Do they have an office or studio down here or something?

As part of my proff comm course, I need to do an interview with someone. I figure heck- as long as I'm into animation, why not see if I can grab hold of someone from Disney? :P I'm just a student, so I'm not expecting anyone big, but it'd be nice to just meet someone from the animation industry and to learn more about it. If worst comes to worst, I could just interview some animation students or something :D.

I'll keep drawing stuff in my free time, though I'm notoriously slow, and can only get stuff to look decent after VERY long time...not qualities you'd look for in an animator :P.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2007, 11:26 am

I think Disney Australia are actually in Sydney...I meant that at leat you were in the right country!

I don't know what Steve Trenbirth is doing these days, but he'd seem a good bet to try and get in touch with. He directed some features at WDA vut not sure if he's there now. I'd bet he's still in the country though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 17th, 2007, 8:41 pm

Yeah, okay... She Hulk!

(just a random pic I found :P)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 18th, 2007, 12:01 am

Another option is to get a used ipod. eBay has lots of them and some good deals. The 4th gen 20gb ipod goes for about $100

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 18th, 2007, 12:54 am

That might be a good idea. :wink:

I'm also kind of interested in the video one...does anyone here have that, and is it any good? Are the videos good quality?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 18th, 2007, 1:01 am

I have it. Video quality is good - but small.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

'DuPain' comes good!

Post by lizzimba » March 18th, 2007, 8:08 pm

Well, I'm sure a fair few of you remember viewing my (and my teams) graduation animated short 'DuPain', and also that it won a place in the 'Spike and Mike Sick and Twisted Animation Festivals.'

Well, now....we've been totally shocked by the news that its been nominated in the Graduation Film category for the Annecy Animation Festival 07' in France this summer.

http://www.annecy.org/home/index.php?Pa ... alisateur=

Nothing has come close to making me this happy in a long while, its pretty much the pinnacle for a graduation film to reach (other than actually taking the prize home that is!), its been something I have dreamed of for over three and a half years, and for it to actually come true is an amazing feeling.

For those who haven't seen it yet, you can view it on this link below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hFL03jLYrc

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 18th, 2007, 8:50 pm

And you deserve it, really great short :D
Very funny, very original.

Are you working on anything right now?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 18th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Congradulations! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 18th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Yes, very enjoyable, and quite artistic too! :wink: :)

More creative than hours of so-called "entertainment" seen on television today...:?

Huge congrats are in order! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lizzimba » March 19th, 2007, 7:56 am

Zwollie wrote:And you deserve it, really great short :D
Very funny, very original.

Are you working on anything right now?

Nah, not right this minute.

Me and the three others are all still looking for jobs at the moment, but the nomination increases our chances of not only getting a good job, but maybe one altogether. That would be the best, as we are a team after all.