Marvel Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Marvel Animation should do a Howard The Duck animated movie.

Post by CyrusGrissom » March 22nd, 2009, 10:30 am

With Marvel being successful at TV animation and animated movies that are direct-to-dvd, i was thinking it's time they should do a feature length animated feature based on Steve Gerber's cult Marvel character Howard The Duck. It would be a direct-to-dvd animated movie that is sort of a reboot of the 1986 cult flick which i DO like BTW since i was a kid and is a guilty pleasure of mine but make this more true to the comics.

Andy Dick could provide Howard's voice with Kate Sourcie as Beverly Switzler and Michael Ironside as the evil Captain-Turnip. The film could be a PG-13 rated mature animated feature just like "Hulk Vs." with some smoking, drinking, some language, violence and of course crude humor with satire just like the comics.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 22nd, 2009, 1:06 pm

Apart from being associated with someone else's cult movie from a more unenlightened age, um, why??
(No, that was a rhetorical question.)

The comic only had marginal cult popularity in the 70's, everything but the character sank into obscurity (except for some running "Sticking up for the Marvel underdogs" jokes in John Byrne's She-Hulk), and apart from the cartoon "Tick", cult-parody comics just don't translate very well to film or toon. (Qv. "Mystery Men".)

(...But still, dang, don't it make a funny-sounding header?) ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 22nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Hmmmm....

Y'know, it's so crazy it just might work!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Marvel Animation should do a Howard The Duck animated mo

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 22nd, 2009, 4:27 pm

No no no no no no no no no!.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CyrusGrissom » March 23rd, 2009, 6:52 pm

Oh come on, this cult characters deserves a big comeback but in animation and fans of Gerber's creation wouldn't be disappointed.

I'm gonna write a letter to Marvel Animation on this concept and perhaps bring the quacker back the way he was meant to be seen on film but in animation. They could have the animators of "Hulk Vs." doing the animation and would be accurate to the comical story, if it becomes a successful one then maybe there could be an animated future for Howard even as a guest in a possible "Ultimate Avengers III".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 23rd, 2009, 7:16 pm

I didnt enjoy the live-action movie of howard the duck but an animated movie done by marvel MIGHT be interesting. I'll see it IF ITS PG13

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 23rd, 2009, 8:44 pm

Okay I didnt enjoy it when i was a kid but however I just watched it and its awesome!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 24th, 2009, 1:29 am

I've never seen that movie, but now that it's gonna be available on dvd, I'd like to check it out. As a piece of pure 80's cheez whiz, I'm sure it'll be fun, like the unreleased Fantastic Four movie.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Howard is a really fun movie...but it's not the comic book.

I'd love to see a proper Howard animated feature...heck, something really cool in CGI would be very neat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 24th, 2009, 9:46 pm

It's like the distinction between the cartoon "Tick" and the Tick live-action sitcom--
One was written by the original comic author and could play those idiosyncratic "If you have to ask, you'll never know" in-niche jazz licks of satire-comics; the other was a painful whitebread sitcom by people who had never read a real comic book in their lives.

And keeping in mind that Howard: the Movie was directed by the ex-Temple of Doom screenwriters, think you know where I'm going with this...
Something more comic-based would not only let us in on the cult-joke of what Steve Gerber had in mind (see, he's like Donald from another comic, only he's a jerk!), and not as many scenes of mouthy-black social workers thinking that Howard must be (...snicker!...get this...) wearing a costume!
(I remember reading one critic jawdropping at the inexplicably timewarped lameness of that scene, and thinking, "Preach it, brother." :? )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Marvel reveales more future movies

Post by gaastra » March 31st, 2009, 11:44 am

http://www.newsarama.com/film/030927-Marvel-Films.html

Among the one we knew about are

Black Panther
Nighthawk
Cable
Vision
Iron Fist
Dr Strange

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 31st, 2009, 1:57 pm

Black Panther would be cool, but the one I'm looking forward to the most is Captain America. I like Cap because he represents what Americans should aspire to be, but at the same time, even though he works for the government, he won't do anything that is unjust (in fact, there was a storyline in the comics where his citizenship was revoked because he refused to do something that the government wanted him to do).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 31st, 2009, 5:34 pm

Black panther could be interesting if they do it carefully, I wonder if they plan on doing a stripperella movie? :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » April 4th, 2009, 2:33 am

O.O I'm not sure about the idea of a cartoon but I wish they would release the soundtrack on cd. ^.~
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 5th, 2009, 10:41 pm

I just got the Essential Howard the Duck book and it's pretty good so far, so now when I see the movie, I'll have something to compare it too.