Marvel Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Menace » July 30th, 2005, 10:45 am

I'm just saying I've seen this before somewhere.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by melike » July 31st, 2005, 4:41 am

It'd be good if you could remember where as it shouldnt be anywhere else but yearone.spiderspawn.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Menace » July 31st, 2005, 11:53 am

Ok. I think I remember, not that it will help much without a scanner. I remember reading one of these comics somewhere in the middle of a Marvel comic. Ya know, on one of those ad type pages? But I always figured it was just Marvel spoofing on themselves. If I can locate the comic book, I'll scan it and show it to you.
And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. My two cents.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 31st, 2005, 9:14 pm

Menace wrote:Ok. I think I remember, not that it will help much without a scanner. I remember reading one of these comics somewhere in the middle of a Marvel comic. Ya know, on one of those ad type pages? But I always figured it was just Marvel spoofing on themselves. If I can locate the comic book, I'll scan it and show it to you.
Odd...Perhaps it was something that looked simliar?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by melike » August 1st, 2005, 1:30 am

Well there have been similar themed strips popping up in Marvel before. As disapoined as i was to hear this i wasnt the first. So it was probably just one of those.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

about a DVD boxset of the original 1960s Marvel Superhero Sh

Post by marvelsharrpx » August 5th, 2005, 12:59 am

about a DVD boxset of the original 1960s Marvel Superhero Show (1966?) -- ???????, hmmm, when will this be released in the usa and will the various video stores carry this worldwide and ect. and i also read online somewhere that conan the cimmerian was also featured in an old classical marvel comics superhero animated 1960s animated cartoon tv show series a long time ago, hmmm, is that really true and ect.???????

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 5th, 2005, 1:24 am

I posted about the 1960s Marvel Superheroes set a few months back.

The set was originally supposed to be released June/July this year in R1 but got cancelled/delayed due to the Fantastic Four movie.

Since Disney owns all the Saban-era Marvel animated TV series, they fast-tracked and released a boxed set of the 1994-1995 Fantastic Four animated series to cash in on the live-action Fantastic Four movie. I can't honestly tell you anything about that set other than A) I have no intention of buying it and B) I disliked the show intensely when it was first syndicated on TV. It's a rotten, dumbed-down and cheaply-produced version of the FF just like the movie is.

Disney does NOT own the 1960s Fantastic Four series. That was a Hanna-Barbera production and is currently owned by Time-Warner which controls all the Hanna-Barbera television productions. Time-Warner would be the company to release a DVD set of that series IF they believed there was enough interest in it. Again, the 1960s series is fairly bland and awful in its own way from uninspired voice casting and acting to ultra-stiff animation that lacks the flair of Jack Kirby's original design aesthetic. (Ironically, Jack Kirby's designs work EXTREMELY WELL in animation and have been incorporated into many episodes of the current DC animated Justice League series as well as episodes of the 1990s Superman animated series.) There just hasn't been a good animated adaptation of the FF aside from various obvious derivatives and homages to the group in both "The Incredibles" animated feature and an episode of Batman Beyond.

There's no word on when or if Disney might do the 1960s Marvel Superheroes DVD boxset. Next year is probably the earliest, but again no word on whether this project will be picked up. They'd probably have to do a video remastering on the series just like they did with the 1960s Spider-Man animated series.

And no, as far as I know Marvel never did have Conan in an episode of the 1960s Marvel Superheroes show. Conan didn't even appear in comics until the early 1970s. Marvel would have been sued by the Robert E. Howard estate if they had used his character without permission.

Episodes of the 1960s Marvel Superheroes series featuring Captain America and The Hulk have been released on DVD in the UK.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by melike » August 18th, 2005, 11:15 pm

Any luck on finding that appearance?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » August 19th, 2005, 6:16 pm

jajaja this page is really funny. i couldnt stop laughing for about an hour.
I got "twitterpated" by Faline...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

GeorgeC

OMG! Year One just keeps churning off great strips!

Post by GeorgeC » November 28th, 2005, 12:52 am

Whew...!

The guy that does "Year One" is doing a great job on spoofing the Marvel characters. On top of that, his commentary on the current (and in my opinion VERY SAD AND JOYLESS) state of Marvel is spot-on.

Here's the latest instant-classic from Year One -- http://yearone.spiderspawn.com/comics/051123.png

It's an X-Men spoof, but a VERY good one.

Clever writing and great character designs!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 28th, 2005, 7:51 am

Year One is simply amazing. One of the only Webcomics I read.

GeorgeC

Save your $$$ -- Ultimate Avengers premieres on CN Mar 11th

Post by GeorgeC » February 22nd, 2006, 4:28 am

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=9084

Don't spend your cash just yet...

Wait until March 11th and catch "Ultimate Avengers" on CN to see if it's worth your hard-earned cash...

This seems to becoming more of a trend lately with direct-to-video releases.

Release the animation on DVD a few days to a few weeks before showing it on Cartoon Network (or another channel).

I remember Mask of the Phantasm wasn't shown on TV until YEARS after its home video release!

I'm going to go a bit further and tell you all WHY I didn't buy this release today.

I'm just not impressed by anything Marvel Comics does anymore. Its best days are well behind it. The last good decade of comics it produced was in the 1980s. Since the early 1990s, it's been one pile of recycled junk after another.

It's sad to think that people believe the Ultimate line of Marvel Comics is the best the company has ever produced when the line is just scavenging 20- and 40-year-old plotlines and pandering to an increasingly older comic book audience (25-40 year-olds) that's becoming smaller every year.

(To be fair, DC does pretty much the same thing. I'm not buying a thing from either company regularly any more...)

There just isn't anything produced for kids (or the "kid at heart") that's fun and optimistic anymore.

Why should ANY kid buy this junk? There's nothing in it for them and I daresay that there are piles upon piles of more imaginative video games out there than there are comic book nowadays!

The best comics you are going to find in any shop nowadays are likely to be reprints of comics produced before 1985...

So, what does this have to do with "Ultimate Avengers"? Ultimate Avengers is just more of the same crass marketing Marvel does 99% of the time. It's low quality, poorly designed animation done at lowest bidder.

The trailers and clips online and on TV look like BAD anime.

It just doesn't have the quality the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini WB DCUA shows do and I'm sure that will come through loud and clear to anybody who's not a Marvel Zombie. Marvel went the direct-to-video route with this and upcoming Marvel animated movies just to have one less level of competency that they have to achieve.

(Direct-to-video is kind of a joke where quality's concerned. Generally, movies get released straight-to-video because they AREN'T good enough for TV let alone theatrical release!)

It's sad to think the current powers-that-be at Marvel are so ashamed of their characters that they redesigned classic characters like Captain America (the Ultimate Cap outfit looks AWFUL) and made the characters mopey and more one-dimensional.

Face it, there are no longer any corny, patriotic or optimistic characters at Marvel anymore. They're all mopey, dreary-eyed, angst-ridden teenagers who happen to be 25-30 years-old.

The powers-that-be at Marvel are tearing the foundations out of the House that Stan, Jack, and Steve built so well in the 1960s.

Marvel doesn't have a heart any more.

And yet some animation sites are praising "Ultimate Avengers" as the height of superhero animation on video.

Marvel Fanboys sure have low expectations nowadays.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2006, 5:49 pm

Mask/Phantasm was a theatrical release, wasn't it?

That's probably why it didn't turn up for ages. I know WB was trying to recoup costs on VHS sales at the time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 22nd, 2006, 8:43 pm

As someone who has actually seen Ultimate Avengers, and is definitely NOT a Marvel zombie, I would have to say that it is much better than what one might expect--- depending on your tastes, of course. I have a feeling George wouldn't care for it, and that's fine. To each his own. It's not "the next evolution in animation", but it is fun, and I wouldn't want anyone judging the movie from only one person's opinion, particularly a person who has formed opinions without seeing it, based partially on his opinion on Marvel Comics itself.

BTAS seems to be the gold standard for superhero animation (I know it's my favorite show ever), but it was NOT always a well-animated show. The designs were fantastic, the storyboarding was creative, and it had some great scripts (along with some mediocre ones and a very few dogs), but the animation quality depended on the studio it was farmed out to. Ultimate Avengers is animated way better than many BTAS eps were, although it's easy to be prejudiced against it because of the mediocre character design.

But Marvel animated shows have always gone for that humdrum, "realistic" look, eschewing anything too stylized. And in this case, with them wanting to evoke Bryan Hitch's art as much as possible (though really quite impossible), I can see why they went for the designs they did. So yes, It's got a standard "Saturday morning superhero" look, but not everything has to be more stylized than that. This is what Marvel cartoons have nearly always been like.

Ultimates (the comic) is not for kids, and it's cynical. So, it was an odd choice for adaptation. But given that it was adapted, I enjoyed the results. I found the movie entertaining, even if it was not groundbreaking stuff. For DTV, it met or exceeded my expectations. (More thoughts found in my DVDtoons review.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2006, 9:57 pm

I think the Marvel/Saban X-Men animated series (early 90s) was a great show, but now that I think about it the animation really wasn't very good. I liked the designs, but the animation was VERY stiff.

Plus there were lots of goofs, especially in the pilot episode. Sometimes characters talked and their mouths didn't move! Plus there's this part where Rogue picks up a security guard and flies off with him. When she picks him up he looks black, then when she puts him down he's white... :roll:

The 90s Spider-Man animation was somewhat similar, but smoother looking and more orignal I think.

There just isn't anything produced for kids (or the "kid at heart") that's fun and optimistic anymore.

I agree, that's why I'm looking foward to the Superman movie. Also, even though I know not everyone liked it, Fantastic Four (the movie) kind of fills that void. There is a lightness and optimism (and cute romance) that's really fun and a welcome change from the "brooding/dark" look of almost EVERY comic movie released since 1989.

I like dark superhero stories, but ya need a little fun here and there too!
I think the Dick Tracy film did a good job of balancing the two aspects (brooding Elfman score, bright, cartoony designs, simple/sweet story at heart)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!