Marvel Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 14th, 2009, 6:25 pm

In truth, a Howard the Duck show could be awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 14th, 2009, 7:04 pm

Yes, but: a Howard the Duck show produced by Walt Disney Television..?

As if the George Lucas-produced Howard weren't 'white-bread' enough .. :wink:

If he can't drink booze, smoke cigars, chase girls, or even fight Doctor Bong .. he might as well be Donald the Duck .. :idea:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 14th, 2009, 7:34 pm

Uh, I'm reading the linked article-by-way-of-forum discussion, and I still don't see anything that says they ARE making any, Howard or otherwise.
Bob Iger was just clarifying the details of last month's deal in public, and says they could make minor character series If They Wanted To<tm>, as just one of many options of exploring marketing opportunities.

And before this forum-discussion-of-third-party-forum-discussion-of-linked-news-article gets too off the beaten track, it always helps to keep some written quote of exactly Who said What. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2009, 7:31 am

I'm more interested in the new Howard The Duck Ride that Disney and LucasFilm just announced to replace Star Tours. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 15th, 2009, 7:55 am

Trapped on a Ride He Never Made! :lol:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 29th, 2009, 1:20 am

I don't think they'll touch Howard the Duck.

Too close-for-comfort to you-know-who at Disney.

Way too grown up without going into the issues of cigars and sex.

Don't want to confuse the duck brands.

Another article is up about the dilemma faced by Disney over the Marvel acquisition -- http://paralleluniverse.msn.com/feature ... ?gt1=28140

I think the deal will go through but the problem is that the most popular Marvel characters are held up in deals with other studios!

(And again Disney is overpaying for a brand that doesn't exactly gel well with its existing properties. Disney doesn't need to buy more than it already owns. If they'd only leverage their existing classic characters and let the in-house talent do fun things with them!)

I call baloney on the notion of Disney doing anything with Ant-Man or any other Marvel character that's been a sales disaster already.

Iron Fist is definitely a possibility for a martial arts film but as for adapting a lot of other characters for XD we'll see.

I'm afraid a lot of the problems DC and Marvel face with making films with a lot of their characters is that they're just not that well-known. It's usually been the same 4 or 5 per company that have been licensed out (I'd use the "W" word but this is a kid-frequented forum) for over 40 years now. Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, and X-Men have definitely been done to death now. Overexposure.

The universes of both companies are much richer than that. The films DON'T have to be about superheroes because both Marvel and DC have plenty of non-super-powered action heroes. We'll see if the current executives at Disney and WB as well as the current pool of Hollywood talent realize there are a lot more characters than just Spidey, Hulk, X-Men, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

(Note: Let Ghost Rider sleep for a while... We really don't need to see a sequel to that film!)

The problem remains that most people have never bothered to read the original comics -- and it shows!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 16th, 2010, 2:27 am

Lolz, howard the duck. Epic if that was made into a cartoon but I don't think they would touch that license. The original movie scared me so much when I was a kid. I couldn't stand it when my dad watched it. >.<
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

GeorgeC

Stan "the Man" Lee gets Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame!

Post by GeorgeC » November 14th, 2010, 12:38 am

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... lees-star/

According to Mark Evanier, the ceremony is on January 4th!

Considering all the money grossed by the characters he co-created and/or edited for years at Marvel Comics and the joy he's brought to fans of adventure and escapism, this is a long overdue honor.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2010, 9:42 am

Not at all a surprise, since it's been rumored for ages (I actually thought it had already happened some time ago!), but the biggest surprise is that it hasn't been scheduled to happen around the time of release for Marvel's next big release, which is usually when such things occur.

Well deserved, though, as you say. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Marvel Discussion

Post by manga raw » September 11th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Cool, I like...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 5th, 2017, 1:25 am

I know this thread is super-old but wasn't quite sure where to put this: a somewhat interesting short essay on the ten-year-old (yes, ten) Spider-Man 3. It analyzes the film's flaws but does point out one positive quality I thought was interesting:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ins-999941

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 5th, 2017, 1:43 am

For example: Why are there three villains in the movie, with almost entirely unrelated plots?
Because there were three unrelated cooks in the broth:
Raimi insisted on going through the villains in chronological order and gave us Sandman, the studio insisted that a sequel! must continue the running Goblin arc to continue to keep James Franco contracted, and the fans demanded Venom.
That's sort of what was wrong with it in the first place, and the other was Raimi spending SOOO much time on "Peter's personality change", they had about ten minutes left for Venom, tops.

(And as for it being "more fun than most superhero movies", that goes back to the old problem of, by "Most", do we mean Marvel, or do we mean the crappy Warner, Fox and Sony ones we've become sick of?)