Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 9th, 2010, 8:49 am

Do you mean the previous Kino restored DVD, Whippet? From four or so years ago?

If so, I'm glad I do have that...I would have updated to Blu-ray anyway, but that previous restoration is a valid "alternate" cut that shows what the film would have been had the freakish extra print had not showed up. I would have probably bought that again just on BD if it had come out...but now there's a reason to keep the DVD as an alternate cut, and the BD as the "all-in" version.

BTW...how can you like Moroder's version!? I'll agree it's got some very odd curiosity value to it, but ultimately it's kitsch gone wrong in my view. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: OMG! I can't believe they found this!

Post by Whippet Angel » February 9th, 2010, 10:43 am

I suppose it's just the novelty of it.
I'd like to think of it as just another "alternate cut", albeit one with color tints and 80's rock music. :P

Yup, I decided not to buy the restored Kino DVD when I heard about the new print that was discovered. I doubt I'll want to own more than one version of the film aside from Moroder's (just because it's so radically different). If I own a copy of the film, it might as well be the "Ultimate" restored version.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 9th, 2010, 12:16 pm

I see your points and actually agree! I too am glad that the BD will be the ultimate restoration (so cool to have that be the version in hi-def), and Moroder's cut is certainly "radically different"! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 9th, 2010, 2:12 pm

I sold my old Kino copy as soon as the restored footage was found. Looking forward to the Blu-ray! Kino's info is a little confusing, as to the actual DVD release. At The Bits, it sounds like the April release is theatrical, with a disc release later in the year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » February 9th, 2010, 2:13 pm

That is wonderful news. It always give me hope when films and such are found after years of believing they were gone forever. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 14th, 2010, 3:22 am

Whippet Angel wrote:I suppose it's just the novelty of it.
I'd like to think of it as just another "alternate cut", albeit one with color tints and 80's rock music. :P
Yup, I decided not to buy the restored Kino DVD when I heard about the new print that was discovered. I doubt I'll want to own more than one version of the film aside from Moroder's (just because it's so radically different). If I own a copy of the film, it might as well be the "Ultimate" restored version.
Moroder's version is also arguably better--
We have this romanticized image of Metropolis as a "cool sci-fi" piece; we sit down and watch the pristine version, and get a sledgehammer-straightforward pre-Nazi pro-union PSA that looks like it was written by the Teamsters.
By giving it what basically amounts to a Broadway score (and I mean that as a compliment :D ), Moroder turned the story back into the "future Romeo & Juliet" love-conquers-all fable with cool buildings and robots that we remember. (For ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pRZBxceEBQ )
The last time TCM showed the restored version, I put my own tape on and switched back and forth, to experiment: The original was dry as dishwater, but the Moroder captured the "fairytale" mood of the story.

Watch the ending handshake-fadeout in the original Kino version and tell me whether there's any emotion there whatsoever, and then watch what Moroder could do with it by adding a slo-mo and having the love theme kick in on the end credits. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 15th, 2010, 2:29 pm

A Broadway score? Early MTV more like.

And the "dishwater" original? It was made for 1927 audiences! No-wonder Moroder's 1984 take was groovier for you...he also cut half the movie out!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » February 15th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Ben wrote:A Broadway score? Early MTV more like.
No, if you study the structure of Broadway musicals, Moroder's plays EXACTLY like the song-points of a good show--
The "opening number" of the workers'-trudge sets the tone perfectly like every other group-chorus curtain raiser, Freder and Maria meeting at the catacombs is every end-of-Act-I love-theme reprise, and Freddie Mercury even gets the pluperfect supporting-character middle-of-Act-2-commentary "wake-up" solo number with "Love Kills".
(And the Finale has already been discussed.)

Lang couldn't have structured a better stage-format if he'd tried, Moroder saw that and came about as close as he ever came to writing his own Broadway show--You could show the conversion to students as a lesson in how to write a show's book.
Especially considering that a real unrelated UK West End "Metropolis" stage musical died a quick death around the same time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2010, 9:50 am

Structure...sure...

I meant the songs play like mini MTV videos of the time. If I'm not mistaken, Queen's Radio Ga-Ga basically lifted three minutes from the movie as its visual track.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Ghostbuster Man » February 22nd, 2010, 1:00 pm

Is the movie out by the time I'm writing this?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 7th, 2010, 6:14 pm

The restored Metropolis is debuting in the US during the TCM classic Hollywood filmfest running in LA April 22-25. It will be shown on the 25th of April.

Note that this DOES NOT mean TCM is showing Metropolis (restored) on the network at this time. You have to be in the LA area to attend the screening on April 25th.

The DVD and Blu ray versions of the restored Metropolis will debut in November this year through Kino's home video label...

GeorgeC

Anime Fans in Space!

Post by GeorgeC » April 11th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Japanese astronaut Sōichi Noguchi is on the left wearing the shirt uniform of Space Battleship Yamato hero Susumu Kodai --- aka as Derek Wildstar in the English adaptation StarBlazers. American astronaut Stephanie D. Wilson is in the middle.

The other Japanese astronaut on the right, Naoko Yamazaki, is also an anime and Yamato fan, too.

Photo courtesy of http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... o-in-space ...

They got it from the Japanese Space Agency, JAXA!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

My favorite show is in Mandarin:

Post by ToonAspie » August 5th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I know my tastes aren't in the majority, but I still can't see why I can't find anyone (from the "west," at least) who can appreciate Hunan GreatDreams's "虹猫蓝兔七侠传" for what it is. I can understand not speaking Chinese as being a hindrance, but if you go through the whole series (a playlist was linked under the title), the storytelling is so clear that even one should be able to follow along pretty well. Though it may help to have these few plotpoints (excuse the what I think is a literal translation):

I can post more information if you want later...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 5th, 2010, 8:49 pm

You're an aspie? Me too! Do you watch Japanese anime? I can reccomend some good ones (Genshiken, Crest of the Stars, Read or Die, Blue Submarine No. 6, Dragonball, Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece, Cowboy Bebop and that's just for starters).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ToonAspie » August 5th, 2010, 8:53 pm

I don't watch anime; I just read the manga. Sometimes I feel the comic is more animated then it's anime counterpart...