Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Manga & Anime THREAD

Post by gaastra » August 25th, 2023, 8:01 am

Live one piece trailer with japan voice cast released.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 9th, 2023, 6:26 pm

Ghibli film will be released in america on dec 8 in theatres.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 23rd, 2023, 4:04 pm

Dragonball Z battle of the gods (10th birthday! It's been 10 years!) is heading back to theatres.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Dra ... 2023-10-17

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » October 19th, 2023, 11:52 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 19th, 2023, 3:39 pm

This video found on youtube has a rare ad for robotech the movie 1986! A film we will never get a uncut release of in america.

Anyone see this? It was a bomb in america but was a huge hit in europe. Anyone in europe see it at theaters in 1986?

At 3:17.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 19th, 2023, 5:09 pm

heh. An 'uncut' release of Robotech: The Movie. :mrgreen:

Hilarious, considering it's a 'cut up' version of the japanese OVA (DTV anime) Megazone 23: Part I .. with a few shots from other anime mixed-in, and a completely different (newly-animated, at least) final sequence, to give it a 'happier' ending. :twisted:

Animeigo released the entire Megazone 23 trilogy on Blu-ray, a few years ago .. it's definitely a product of its time (which is to say, very 1980s!!) -- and also switches-up its visual style (with no explanation!), for each entry in the series .. but it's still worth a watch, IMO.

Although the overall plot is merely hinted at in this trailer, Megazone23 may remind folks of Dark City or The Matrix .. but it was made ~13 years before those films. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 19th, 2023, 10:19 pm

Didn't say it wasn't chopped from other things. Robotech is 3 shows with no ties to each other with exo squad confusingly added later. But again, ironic the 86 film was a big hit overseas but may never get a full release outside of clips.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 19th, 2023, 10:57 pm

I didn't intend any mean spirit in my post toward Robotech: The Movie (nor to you personally, gaastra) .. my apologies if I came across that way. :oops:

I just genuinely found the phrasing of an 'uncut' Robotech: The Movie to be very funny, in an ironic sense. :lol:

Certainly, the Robotech TV series is likewise a 'frankenstein' compilation of three unrelated anime series .. but -- at least there -- producer Carl Macek left the bulk of each series mostly intact, storywise, aside from some story linking bits that he'd added.

Macek felt that necessary in order to get Robotech syndicated in the 1980s (which required a minimum of 65 episodes) .. Macross was only 36 episodes, while Southern Cross and Mospeada were about 25 episodes each.

.. and his Robotech TV series was very much responsible for turning-on a lot of western audiences to anime in general .. so, I fully acknowledge that Robotech has a deserved place as a landmark touchstone title, for the generation who saw it when it originally aired. :)

It seems strange to me that Macek went for the even-more-unrelated (not to mention slightly-more-'adult'-skewing) DTV Megazone23 -- rather than the bona fide theatrical film Macross: Do You Remember Love -- as the basis for Robotech: The Movie.

Though, Macross: DYRL would later be (or perhaps already had been?) butchered by another anime importer into a dub called Clash of the Bionoids.

full disclosure: I actually worked for Mr. Macek on a wholly original 'Robotech' sequel project, way back in "the year 2000". It was a pilot called Robotech 3000. It was shopped at MIPCOM and a few other venues, but (perhaps rightly) never got sold.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 20th, 2023, 10:33 am

My apologies. I didn't mean to sound hateful or upset if I did. I didn't take what you said as mean and was just talking about the film not yelling so I'm sorry if it came off that way.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2023, 2:22 pm

Aw, feel the love between everyone! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 21st, 2023, 8:02 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 22nd, 2023, 12:26 am

Um, isn't regular Crunchyroll ALREADY available free with ads?
And with an actual slate of titles people have heard of?

(While PlutoTV has 24/7 FWA streaming-broadcast channels of Sailor Moon, Lupin III, Naruto, and Case Closed.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 22nd, 2023, 8:16 am

Nope. First thing sony got rid of when they bought it. No more free with ads but maybe a single episode if you are lucky.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 6th, 2023, 12:12 pm

Spy x family movie getting worldwide release in theatres.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/announ ... aters-2024

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 22nd, 2023, 10:59 pm

One piece gets a balloon at this year's macys!

https://macysthanksgiving.fandom.com/wi ... y_D._Luffy