General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 13th, 2005, 12:06 am

Watch out for spoilers in this article.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 23rd, 2005, 2:28 pm

Really interested in these movies....DW will be great again! :)

(They always were but I guess not everyone sees it. :wink: :wink: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 21st, 2005, 8:46 pm

Article from Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comm ... yid=243216

"It Came From Earth!" sounds funny, but "Route 66" sounds...stupid. Plus, wasn't that the original name of "Cars"? Hmmm...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 22nd, 2005, 6:34 am

Yes, Route 66 was the original name of Cars.

Why DO they do this?? Wassapoint?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 22nd, 2005, 11:18 pm

Like changing "Basil of Baker Street" to "The Great Mouse Detective."

I guess...so everyone knows EXACTLY what it's about. But then why didn't they call Finding Nemo "Fishes?" (At first everyone was like "What's Finding Nemo?")

They should have kept Route 66. Cars is kind of a lame title. Route 66 has all kinds of resonance--route to California, prosperity, motels, gas stations, working-class pride, all those issues.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 23rd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Missed my point...

Pixar's Cars was originally called Route 66.

Now DreamWorks have announced an animated road movie called...Route 66.

THAT's what I meant by "why do they do this?"

BTW, changing a book title from "Basil Of baker Street" to "Great Mouse Tec" makes sense. Copying another firm's title (or theme, like they always do!), doesn't.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 23rd, 2005, 4:07 pm

Yeah, I thought Route 66 was a better name too. They changed it because they didn't want people confusing it with the T.V. show of the same title. Or something.

And a giant golf ball falling in love with a giant blueberry?? What??? :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 23rd, 2005, 6:42 pm

THAT's what I meant by "why do they do this?"
Oh. Well it could be a coincidence, maybe they got the idea from Pixar but they're not "copying" them, they always come up with their own concepts. Ideas travel all the time in the world of animation, it's been that way for decades and no one thought much of it. (Warner bros constantly stole from Disney, as did other studios like Fleischer. Plus wasn't make a mice film like Great Mouse detective, based on a famous children's book about mice, kind of like ripping off NIMH which came out right at that time?)

BTW from what I heard a lot of animators were ticked when managment (I guesss K or Eisner) changed the name to Mouse Tech. They supposedly drew up an anonymous flier which had names for films like "Seven Little Men help a Girl."
And a giant golf ball falling in love with a giant blueberry?? What???
I actually think that sounds really cute. And no weirder than an all-car world with NO HUMANS and cars that have eyes for a windshield, or a "space ranger" who can't figure out he's a toy even though he's in a kid's bedroom every second.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 24th, 2005, 12:56 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I actually think that sounds really cute. And no weirder than an all-car world with NO HUMANS and cars that have eyes for a windshield, or a "space ranger" who can't figure out he's a toy even though he's in a kid's bedroom every second.
Yeah, but...If they can pull it off, I'll be suprised.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 24th, 2005, 3:32 pm

Mouse Tec actually came out five years after NIMH.

So... was An American Tail a rip off of NIMH AND Mouse Tec? ;)

I like that you defend DWs, but really, they could have come up with an original name...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 24th, 2005, 3:45 pm

I like that you defend DWs, but really, they could have come up with an original name...
Well, maybe.... :roll:

Mouse Tec actually came out five years after NIMH.
Right, but....Great Mouse Detective was already in production before the whole Disney takeover in 1984. Wasn't it in production since like 1982 or 83? I'm not sure, but I do know they started it before Eisner and Katzenberg came.
So... was An American Tail a rip off of NIMH AND Mouse Tec?

No, not a rip-off but maybe they just said: "Hey, Don's first movie about mice did well. The Disney movie about mice did well. Let's do another mouse film!"

Plus Oliver and Company and All Dogs (came out one year apart I think) have a lot in common in basic plot--ne'er do well cats/dogs involved in saving a little orphan kittie/little orphan girl/lonely rich girl from an evil gangster- like villain. (Sykes/Carface) Same idea, very different execution. I don't think people made a big deal out of it, though. :roll: :wink:
Yeah, but...If they can pull it off, I'll be suprised
Hey, they actually had a serious animated film about the Bible make money. I'd say they can pull this off. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2005, 7:41 am

American Tail, would have course, been in production waaay before Mouse Tec was able to bear any influence on whether mouse films were made.

Mouse Tec was not in production during the take over of 1984, but while that was happening was when John and Ron went off quietly and came up with designs. That's all they had when ME and JK came in for the first time: the title and the designs.

They green-lit the film after Roy Disney pleaded with them, but were only given 18 months to animate it (hence the short cuts in some of the animation). But the story was strong as a result and it's a clever, good little production.

All Dogs came out a year and a half after Oliver, which was actually pitched opposite Bluth's Land Before Time in theaters, so you tell me which one had the weaker ideas... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 25th, 2005, 1:17 pm

Interesting. Figures how I was misled by reading a quote from Roy who said that there was almost nothing going on WDFA in 1984 but "Thank G-d Ron and John had Mouse Detective already in production."
All Dogs came out a year and a half after Oliver, which was actually pitched opposite Bluth's Land Before Time in theaters, so you tell me which one had the weaker ideas...
\

I liked them both, especially Oliver. (characterizations much sharper than All Dogs) But wasn't Oliver first pitched at that famous 1985 "Gong Show" meeting (by JK) which was also when Little Mermaid was pitched by Ron and John?

Wait....so it only took them a year and a half to do All Dogs?? Either way they could have been influenced by Oliver's success, Land Before Time was released at the same time as Oliver (Thanksgiving 1988) and Oliver did much better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » September 25th, 2005, 5:07 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Land Before Time was released at the same time as Oliver (Thanksgiving 1988) and Oliver did much better.
yet Land Before Time stood the test of time much better.. or was that because of all the sequels that were shoved down our throats? :lol: lol in all seriousness, I like both, the 80's really wasn't such a bad era for animation at all. An exciting decade wich showed a renewed interest in animation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2005, 7:33 pm

I love Oliver And Company and was VERy excited by the early CGI work done in that, with Georgette's stairs and Sykes' car - still impressive, and the most in-your-face death of any Disney villain ever!