Completely wrong top 30 list

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Completely wrong top 30 list

Post by jcvaldez » June 6th, 2008, 10:01 am

On the animated-news.com main page, there is an update that says the following:

[b]Yahoo! users rate the top 30 animated films of all time [/b]

DVD Town notes that Yahoo! have tallied their user ratings for animated films in order to come up with a ranked list of the top 30 animated films of all time. Not surprisingly, their top 12 is strictly comprised of movies released in the past 20 years, with half of them being Pixar features. This is sure to enfuriate quite a few animation buffs but even those will be curious to check out the full list–so here it is below!
1. Finding Nemo
2. The Lion King
3. The Incredibles
4. Shrek
5. Ratatouille
6. Toy Story
7. Beauty and the Beast
8. Aladdin
9. Spirited Away
10. Monsters, Inc.
11. Cars
12. Shrek 2
13. Enchanted
14. The Little Mermaid
15. Cinderella
16. Princess Mononoke
17. Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas
18. Lady and the Tramp
19. Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who
20. Peter Pan
21. Mulan
22. Howl’s Moving Castle
23. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
24. Ice Age
25: Ice Age: The Meltdown
26. The Simpsons Movie
27. Over the Hedge
28. Sleeping Beauty
29. The Jungle Book
30. Bambi

I have to completely disagree with this list. Using the same list this is how I would rank them.

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Sleeping Beauty
3. Bambi
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. Peter Pan
6. Cinderella
7. Ratatouille
8. The Lion King
9. The Incredibles
10. Lady and the Tramp
11. The Jungle Book
12. Aladdin
13. Toy Story
14. Spirited Away.
15. Monsters, Inc
16. The Little Mermaid
17. Finding Nemo
18. Princess Mononoke
19. Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas
20. Shrek
21. Howl’s Moving Castle
22. Over the Hedge
23. The Simpsons Movie
24. Shrek 2
25: Mulan
26. Cars
27. Ice Age
28. Ice Age: The Meltdown
29. Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who
30. Enchanted (I don’t know why this was on the list. This was mostly live action)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 6th, 2008, 10:23 am

I don't agree with it either - there are many films that shouldn't even be on the list.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Completely wrong top 30 list

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 6th, 2008, 12:04 pm

The Simpsons Movie,Princess Mononoke and maybe Horton Hears a Who shouldn't be on this list XD Enchanted should be there (It is animated,it has much more animation then Roger Rabbit).
I really disagree with the places thought,Sleeping Beauty in 28th place? The Little Mermaid in 14th place? The Nightmare Before Christmas in 17th place? Cinderella in 15th place? and Shrek and Toy Story on such high places? Finding Nemo is my favorite Pixar movie but I don't think it's the best animated movie,The Incredibles doesn't deserve such a high place at all (It's pretty much a Fantastic Four and every superhero rip-off).
And Shark Tale is better then Over The Hedge and Shrek 2 is better Shrek (Actually,I think Shrek The Third is better then Shrek).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 6th, 2008, 12:42 pm

"Finding Nemo" is so not the greatest animated film ever made.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 6th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Everyone will have their own opinions obviosuly. but it might be fun to see everyone's list! Here's mine using just these 30 films and excluding Enchanted.

1 Beauty and the Beast
2 Ratatouille
3 Sleeping Beauty
4 Toy Story
5 Aladdin
6 Finding Nemo
7 The Lion King
8 The Incredibles
9 Cinderella
10 Mulan
11 Peter Pan
12 The Little Mermaid
13 Monsters, Inc.
14 Lady and the Tramp
15 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
16 Bambi
17 Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas
18 The Jungle Book
19 Cars
20 Ice Age
21 Shrek 2
22 Over the Hedge
23 Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who
24 Ice Age: The Meltdown
25 The Simpsons Movie
26 Princess Mononoke
27 Shrek
28 Howl’s Moving Castle
29 Spirited Away

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 6th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:"Finding Nemo" is so not the greatest animated film ever made.
I really agree.
My List: (All the movies until the 5th place are the greatest and same as 1st place).
1.The Little Mermaid.
2.Sleeping Beauty.
3.Enchanted.
4.The Nightmare Before Christmas.
5.Cinderella.
6.Beauty and the Beast.
7.Finding Nemo.
8.Aladdin.
9.Shrek 2.
10.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
11.Shark Tale.
12.Ratatouille.
13.Alice In Wonderland.
14.Cars.
15.Pocahontas.
16.Monsters Inc.
18.Mulan.
19.Toy Story 2.
20.Peter Pan.
21.The Lion King.
22.The Incredibles.
23.Ice Age 2.
24.Bambi.
25.Shrek The Third.
26.The Jungle Book.
27.Lady and the Tramp.
28.Ice Age.
29.Shrek.
30.Bee Movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 6th, 2008, 3:45 pm

I'm surprised Incredibles and Ratatouille got such high marks (I love both) since it has lately become "cool" in other online communities to bash them. Then again, Yahoo users seem to give every single movie that comes out today a B+. As an aside, Brad Bird has become my favorite living filmmaker, and perhaps his artistic genius has been shadowed by his commercial success. Notably, I never hear anyone complain about the financially unsuccessful Iron Giant.

The dismal showing of older films (especially Pinocchio and Dumbo) is also disappointing, but slightly expected. It's not cool to like older movies anymore. If '80s movies have become uncool, think about how people must see movies made in the '40s. As far as newer films are concerned, it seems as if the public has forgotten about Toy Story 2 but, oddly enough, not Shrek 2 or Ice Age 2.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by jcvaldez » June 6th, 2008, 4:09 pm

I guess I'm not cool, because I will pick the older classic animation over anything that comes out today! I love both Ratatouille and The Incredibles, they're both great films. But some animated movies today are just plain horrible. I know Horton Here's a Who! did well in the box office, but I thought the movie was horrible! It was placed above Peter Pan, Howl’s Moving Castle, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Ice Age, Over the Hedge, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, Bambi... in my opinion all of these are better than Horton Here's a Who!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 6th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:(Actually,I think Shrek The Third is better then Shrek).
:shock:

Anywho, yeah, I pretty much disagree with the whole list too. The Simpsons Movie!? That's crazy talk! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 6th, 2008, 9:17 pm

snow white is the worst Disney princess

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 7th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Daniel wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:(Actually,I think Shrek The Third is better then Shrek).
:shock:
Well,Shrek was funnier (And being funny is something importent about the Shrek films) and Shrek The Third wasn't that funny but it's just felt like a mokcing Disney spoof with a weaker plot (It's not bad but it's weak) and Shrek The Third had more story then that.
snow white is the worst Disney princess
I wonder why some people dislike her\don't like her as the others,it's her voice? because there's a lot of complaints about that (Thought this off-topic and better for the Favorite Princess post).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 10th, 2008, 2:56 am

Ratatouille: very well made film (and I've seen it numerous times and bought the special edition w/ bonus disc at Target and I have the Little Golden Book based on "Your Friend the Rat," etc. . . . heck, I even ate at Gusteau's) BUT it is by no means a better movie than The Lion King. It's almost like saying "Raising Arizona" (an excellent, entertaining film, IMHO, which touches on important matters of family relationships) is better than Gone With The Wind (an excellent, classic, masterful, epic film). Somehow they are both great but somehow one still stomps all over the other with its greatness.

Every Pixar film is very well made, there's no arguing that, and I've enjoyed every one of them but every one of them has a very contemporary feel (Ratatouille does step away from that a little but not much) but not a single one of them has the epic, fairy tale quality that many of the classic Disney films do. I'm really not sure why it's hard for people to perceive that distinction.

If anyone's tempted to revile me for "not liking the Pixar films" or "not recognizing all the work that goes into them" hold your peace because that's simply not the case. Heck, I even like A Bug's Life, which most people have forgotten.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 10th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Christian wrote:...Every Pixar film is very well made, there's no arguing that, and I've enjoyed every one of them but every one of them has a very contemporary feel (Ratatouille does step away from that a little but not much) but not a single one of them has the epic, fairy tale quality that many of the classic Disney films do. I'm really not sure why it's hard for people to perceive that distinction...
So if a movie feels old it is better than a movie that feels new. Got it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 10th, 2008, 6:16 pm

I'd say that if a movie has a 'timeless' feel, then it's better than a movie which tries to be 'hip', 'modern', or 'edgy'.

That's not a 'hard-and-fast' rule .. but it does strike me that movies that are too much 'of their time' (whether it's the 2000's, or the 1960's) have a bit of a 'shelf-life' that can cause them to lose touch with an audience of later generations. Though, this is not, in itself, a Bad Thing.

----------

That said, I'd be hard-pressed to select thirty animated features that I felt were worthy of an 'All-Time Best' list .. and most of the titles I'd pick would tend to be from before 1960.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 10th, 2008, 8:29 pm

But too many people define "timeless" as meaning "does not take place in the present".