Cartoon Opening Chain

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cartoon Opening Chain

Post by Foxtale » May 28th, 2010, 4:37 pm

yay This thread has been revived. I picked the anime Emma. :P I think its the same time period feel and they are both animes. They are so very different but this was the first thing that came to mind. :P They were made by different studios in very different decades and the stories are vastly different. :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 28th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Another anime set in Victorian times .. which just happens to also be my personal favorite TV cartoon opening ever (EVER!!) .. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 30th, 2010, 9:25 am

Yay! I missed this thread. :)

Droo mentioned that the previous opening was his all time favorite. Mine is this one, which also happens to be from an anime.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 30th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Sorry to keep us in the realm of anime but the first thing that came to my mind was Cowboy Bebop. I love this anime. ;P

By the way, Droosan, Nadia rules!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 31st, 2010, 12:03 am

Time to bump us out of the anime realm! The above opening made me remember this for some reason:

Too bad the show wasn't nearly as entertaining as the intro. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 31st, 2010, 3:23 am

That one made me think of this ..

a show which -- alas -- was not nearly as entertaining as it had been, in 'silent short' form. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » April 3rd, 2011, 4:27 pm

I miss this game! Here's the next link in the chain after Droo's last post (nearly a year ago).

The video above initially made me think of The Maxx, but that never had an intro of its own.

Judging by the trend, this thread gets resurrected around the same time each year. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 3rd, 2011, 5:02 pm

The carnival-like atmosphere of that intro put me in mind of this:

.. which, IMO, is one of those main-title sequences which is much more enjoyable than the show it introduces.

----------

I'd considered re-starting this topic a couple of times during the past year .. but since I was the last one to post a link, I'd thought it 'bad form'. :oops:

It is a fun annual pastime, tho..! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 3rd, 2011, 7:45 pm

Since some of the YouTube links have been 'broken' and/or removed over the past couple of years, I thought I'd 're-cap' the chain thus far (as best as I can recall) ..

Heathcliff
Rude Dog and the Dweebs
Hong Kong Phooey
Two Stupid Dogs
The Powerpuff Girls
Space Ghost: Coast to Coast
Space Ghost and the Galaxy Trio
The Herculoids
Captain Caveman
Casper and the Space Angels
Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space
Hanna-Barbera's Space Stars
Space Ace
(Laserdisc video-game attract mode)
Dragon's Lair (Ruby-Spears)
The Legend of Zelda
Saturday Supercade
Nick Arcade
Sonic the Hedgehog
Inspector Gadget
Sailor Moon
Grimm's Fairy-Tale Classics
(anime)
David the Gnome
Anne of Green Gables
(anime)
Emma
Nadia of the Mysterious Sea: The Secret of Blue Water
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Men In Black
Aeon Flux
MTV Oddities
Beetlejuice

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2011, 5:42 am

Always loved the Beetlejuice opening titles, not least for Elfman's crazy new interpretation of his score music, but for the terrifically Burton-styled version of Lydia!

You're right, though: the show itself stank and was unusually dead, for a show about ghosts!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 5th, 2011, 11:01 pm

droosan wrote:Since some of the YouTube links have been 'broken' and/or removed over the past couple of years
Fixed!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » April 6th, 2011, 12:03 am

Ben wrote:Always loved the Beetlejuice opening titles, not least for Elfman's crazy new interpretation of his score music, but for the terrifically Burton-styled version of Lydia!
You're right, though: the show itself stank and was unusually dead, for a show about ghosts!
Although I will give points that I just didn't find Michael Keaton funny in the live-action version, mostly just a foulmouthed slob--The cartoon Juice had one joke (literalizing every expression), but at least it was something compared to Burton's version, and felt like where the movie should've gone to begin with.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 6th, 2011, 12:25 am

Thanks for fixing the bbcode in the 'old-forum' posts, Daniel..! :)

Too bad we can't re-host the show opens which have been 'pulled' off YouTube, though. :|

---------------------

Anyone who'd like to: feel free to post the next 'link' in the Cartoon Opening Chain .. :mrgreen:

It can be from any animated TV show which you feel is related to the previous main titles, in any way (Beetlejuice, in this case) -- similar genre, related situation/studio, shared voice actor/creator .. or just one which randomly comes to mind while viewing it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 6th, 2011, 3:49 pm

Okie doke:

Another WB cartoon based on one of their releases from around Beetlejuice's time, which also turned out to be an absolutely terrible animated show, little or nothing like the film that "inspired" it.

I often think of those two shows together, for being from around the same time, and being awful in comparison. Ladies and gents, I give you, Little Shop Of Horrors:

It's true that you could argue that this is based more on the 1961 Corman original, but the obvious voice of Audrey II and a 50's wall of sound music riff throughout the score of the actual program suggests that this was a cash-in on the 1986 musical film. Whatever...it's just plain misguided and deservedly forgotten now!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » April 6th, 2011, 4:48 pm

:shock: My goodness...

I've never even heard of that, and I guess that's deservedly so. Anyway, its fast talking, green, googly-eyed main character made me think of this: