Why so little 'serious' Western animation?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 2nd, 2008, 1:33 am

aqua teen hunger force and venture bros is pretty amazing.

I need to get caught up on VB

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Adult animation

Post by James » November 2nd, 2008, 1:51 am

What happened to {2D} <STRIKE>adult</STRIKE> animation???
Fixed that for ya.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Total Drama Island

Post by Darkblade » November 2nd, 2008, 6:52 am

Total Drama Island

Anyone seen this show? Ive seen unedited episodes on youtube....CN however edits them....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2008, 8:35 am

Hey Darkblade...this isn't really the forum for a topic marked "adult animation", so I've merged it with a topic we had going on "serious Western animation", which is pretty much one and the same thing.

Also, no need to kickstart lots of different topics on various and fairly obscure shows that are not going to generate much discussion, so I've merged a couple of your other posts in here too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CSAD71 » December 28th, 2008, 3:33 pm

This is what has been clawing at me for years now. when it comes to Strong Animation in the Drama/Action area,many friends of mine run for the hills when I say I will be One of them that makes Drama/Action Traditional Animation when I get out their someday.

They tell me I'll have no Audiance for Drama Animation, but I tell them to have A little faith it will come.

I believe soon the tides will turn an Stronger Animation in the Drama Area will be tried in America An It Will Succeed/Achieve or at far best be Atleast Recieved and Have Fair Succeess in the U.S.

As for the old Anime and American Animation Argument,I myself do not buy most of these people saying that the whole Masses in the U.S. (that they included me by saying this) perfer Anime because it is more greater an does more things than our Animation.

If that is their cup of tea than let them drink it an enjoy, but dont try and force your I have to Accept your Tea, Shove it down my Throat when I dont Agree and Approve of what your Taste is.

It's sad most of my Friends did this and they our no longer my friend because of their Pushyness and Arrogance for me to Accept Anime and Jap Animation as My God, One and Only and to Spit On American Animation an Curse My American Animation.

Thank God not all my Friends were this way as well as many others out their.

I mean is it so hard to Accept me not liking Anime because of it's Look and Way and Style and ect. but to some they want me to explain and give A reason more than this, as to why I dont like Anime it is A losing Battle because they want to WIN YOU OVER! to their side.

Anything you say is never A good enough Cause and Proof to not like Anime. (this is not aimed at the poster of this post,hope no offence was taken as such, this is just to A few others out their like this.

Im sure some here that even like Anime know what im talking about to A point, with some Anime fans out there right. o Well Anyway very good Post here, you make some good points in Alot of Areas and Places through out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 28th, 2008, 10:19 pm

The thing about anime is that the japanese style of storytelling is very different from the american style. I understand that not everyone will enjoy the japanese style of writing, but saying you don't like anime just because of how it looks is kind of shallow IMO. If that's your only reason, than it really is your loss because there have been some great stories from japan (Hayao Miyazaki's films, Akira, Metropolis, and Ghost in the Shell are a few of the more notable examples). If nothing else, you should try Cowboy Bebop, which seems to be the anime for people who don't like anime (it helps that the english dub is one of the best there's ever been).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by parka » February 21st, 2009, 1:52 am

Right off my mind, I think most of the US animated movies have lots of talking animals, or things that shouldn't be talking.

The wild variety really comes from overseas animation, especially those super underated or underwatched.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 21st, 2009, 2:19 pm

Economic and cultural realities, welcome-to-US!

Unless we's-overcome prejudice-cultural, advance not will range of stories-animation!

Even animation most popular-Japan be kids for made!

Okay, Ben, I'll stop it!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2009, 2:46 pm

Thanks, G! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » February 22nd, 2009, 8:42 pm

I like how some anime has very good storytelling, Princess Monokoe and Spirited away are good examples for good storytelling. Seeing that adult animation is not much around in the theaters due to a CG cashback...I can see why Rob Zombie was ticked why El superbeasto wasnt put into the theaters.

I do know that there are a few adult animated films in the making but no release dates are heard.... But I think el superbeasto is due for a summer release date.

Last Days Of Coney Island
The Haunted world of el Superbeasto
Grass roots
Life Sucks{A ren and stimpy movie.}

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by parka » April 9th, 2009, 10:38 am

Yeah.

Check out this new serious 3D animation from Japan: [<I><B>Warning</B> - title removed for use of expletive</I>].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4QBZfjtqs

Enjoy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » April 9th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Hey DB, I think you should check out my last post. It talks about El Superbeasto. Its heading for the big screen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2009, 8:25 am

What an unfortunate title. :(

Due to the considerations to the people reading this board, I have removed it from your post, Parka.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 10th, 2009, 11:31 am

Despite the title, it does look nifty. I'm officially intrigued. Too bad we have to wait til the end of the year, though.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » April 10th, 2009, 4:51 pm

Can't wait for Coney Island.

There are some serious or dark cartoons here from Scandinavia like The Flight Before Christmas, Terkel in Trouble and Free Jimmy.