Disney should try to tackle an adult animated feature

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2009, 9:33 am

We did...but then The Black Caulrdon flopped and that put an end to any more such ventures.

And if by "adult" you mean "mature", then there have been plenty of mature animated pictures from Disney and otherwise.

"Adult" doesn't have to mean boobs and violence or an R rating. That's not what makes an "adult" film.

And, quite honestly, films that <I>are</I> nothing but boobs and violence are usually pretty empty, worthless pieces of studio product.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » April 15th, 2009, 10:26 am

To be frank, I think it wouldve been better if Disney just took the risk instead of editing the black caulrdon. But hey wouldve been worst if they tackled Mrs.frisby and the rats of nimh wouldnt it?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2009, 5:16 pm

You be frank, I'll be ollie.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 15th, 2009, 6:10 pm

OriginalGagBonkers wrote:To be frank, I think it wouldve been better if Disney just took the risk instead of editing the black caulrdon. But hey wouldve been worst if they tackled Mrs.frisby and the rats of nimh wouldnt it?
Some people with longer memories hear "Don Bluth" and think of NIMH. (Unless, heaven help us, they give him credit for Titan AE.)
Others with more up-to-date awareness hear "Don Bluth" and think of Thumbelina, pebbles, penguins, and Stanley (the troll in Central Park).

And the latter most emphatically do not think "Adult animation" when they hear the name.
"Too disturbing for kids", maybe, but not exactly in the same category. :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 15th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Pebble and the Penguin doesn't count as a Bluth movie. He asked to have his name taken off it and they refused.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 15th, 2009, 11:41 pm

eddievalient wrote:Pebble and the Penguin doesn't count as a Bluth movie. He asked to have his name taken off it and they refused.
Well, his production company got a credit, but he is not personally listed in the credits otherwise, at least on the latest DVD release. (I just picked this up in the WalMart $5 bin... I might've overpaid.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 14th, 2009, 8:04 am

The odds of Disney producing an animated film for teenagers{or even adults} is unlikely...If it was done in the 90's I guess it wouldve worked out. But heck I dont think it will happen at all since we got Lasseter as if he's "Walt". I guess this means we wont be seeing the film Only Yesterday released on DVD anytime soon?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FanamI » May 14th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Movies like Fantasia and Atlantas were more adult than most but Disney wouldn't tarnish its wholesome image by going too far. They don't want parents screening new films, they want "Disney = take the kids". Its their cash cow.

I think the closest you get to adult works by Diseny is when don bluth went independant as others have mentioned.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » May 14th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Meh. I'd rather have them to to make their family friendly movies. That's the best.

I won't mind a bit more violence when it's due tho..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » May 18th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Anytime they do an adult film, it's under their other labels - Touchstone, Hollywood, Miramax, etc... All that is Disney as well, technically. They will keep their "Disney" brand strictly for family fare.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 18th, 2009, 11:28 pm

Darkblade wrote:I guess this means we won't be seeing the film Only Yesterday released on DVD anytime soon?
Why not? They released Princess Mononoke, and that's very much an adults-only film. I'm sure Only Yesterday will be along sooner or later, perhaps when they release Ponyo on dvd (since they seem to release Ghibli films two at a time).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83