Drawing like dave fleisher

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Drawing like dave fleisher

Post by Darkblade » April 10th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Okay I have a friend of mine who is into the old 30's cartoons like betty boop and popeye.{He's into Dave Fleisher's stuff} He comes up to me and says "I want to draw like Dave Fleisher, his cartoons are pretty crazy but however good.

So is there any ways or info on how to draw like those old black-and-white cartoons? Like those gloved characters, zoot-suited type bad boys you know the crazy {but good stuff}

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 11th, 2009, 10:56 am

You have to learn how to draw like an animator.

The best book for this is "Cartoon Animation" by Preston Blair. It's a compilation of two cheaper books that he wrote over the years that used to both be available at art stores. Unfortunately, for whatever unfathomable reasons, Walter Foster only keeps one of the books in print now and the other has become ridiculously expensive in the used book aftermarket. The green compilation book (ie, more expensive) is the one to get anyway. It has more drawing lessons and examples in it.

The Blair book is available in most good libraries for loan or to buy online. Most art stores and bookstores no longer stock it. It is still in print.

The book that has the specific character model sheets for Betty Boop, Koko the Clown, and other Fleischer characters is The Fleischer Story by Leslie Cabarga. The book is long out-of-print and very expensive now, however. Again, it's another one available at many libraries. You can also look for the model sheets online. Many online animation reference sites/model sheet archives have the Fleischer model sheets.

Google is your friend...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 11th, 2009, 4:45 pm

And so is eBay...Cabarga was recently selling old stock copies (in new condition) directly. :)