Great Animation

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Great Animation

Post by ladyjet » February 16th, 2005, 12:28 am

If you want to see great animation, get the movie called "Shinbone Alley" which was also performed on Broadway, which Mel Brooks was involved in (and Eartha Kit played Mehitabel), before it became a movie. It was based on the Don Marquis columns/books. Another great movie was "Gay Puree." "Fritz the Cat" was also very good.

I believe it's a matter of taste, but when you see the bathroom humor that teen boys use in movies, it's disgusting. The animators who are appealing to the adult segment, must not realize that most adults don't think bathroom humor is all that funny. It's one of the reason why I did not watch but a couple episodes of "South Park," "King of the Hill," or "The Simpson's." The only people I know who watched it regularly was a guy I dated who thought he could become a rock star at age 35. He thought it was hilarious...but then he never has grown up.

Please, start making good cartoons again as well...the ones that both kids and adults could watch without the kids catching on that there was adult humor in it. I just don't understand the simplistic, dummied-down cartoons they are making now... They are not cartoons that adults can watch because they are stupid and don't encourage kids to think...

Jet[/quote]
The longer I live, the less
I resemble the rest of humanity.
--Violet Trefusis

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Great Animation

Post by AniMan » February 16th, 2005, 9:57 am

ladyjet wrote:I believe it's a matter of taste, but when you see the bathroom humor that teen boys use in movies, it's disgusting. The animators who are appealing to the adult segment, must not realize that most adults don't think bathroom humor is all that funny. It's one of the reason why I did not watch but a couple episodes of "South Park," "King of the Hill," or "The Simpson's." The only people I know who watched it regularly was a guy I dated who thought he could become a rock star at age 35. He thought it was hilarious...but then he never has grown up.

Please, start making good cartoons again as well...the ones that both kids and adults could watch without the kids catching on that there was adult humor in it. I just don't understand the simplistic, dummied-down cartoons they are making now... They are not cartoons that adults can watch because they are stupid and don't encourage kids to think..
Okay, I couldn't let this one slide. You've got to be kidding me, right? You actually consider The Simpsons and King of the Hill to be examples of "bathroom humor"? What?? I can see you saying that about South Park, but The Simpsons? And King of the Hill (which is even MORE of a stretch to call bathroom humor)? That's not a matter of opinion, it's simply a misnomer completely. The Simpsons satirizes and lampoons our popular culture. King of the Hill is actually character driven humor and, at times, is even a little touching. So, I would really like to know how in the world you justify the inaccurate depiction of those two shows.

Also, I resent your implication that the only people who watch the aforementioned shows are dumb. I watch The Simpsons and King of the Hill and I am most certainly not of low intelligence (and I am 36 with a wife and two healthy daughters, and work full time as a production artist, thank you very much!). Most people that I know who watch it regularly are very, very intelligent, and they find The Simpsons and King of the Hill very funny. Cartoons are not just for kids, as you well know. They cannot all be there solely to "encourage kids to think". Not to mention I find it a bit hypocritical to denounce the shows mentioned above when you just recommended an R-rated Fritz the Cat. Realize that humor comes in various forms and be a little more observant before you incorrectly categorize good, entertaining animated shows as trash. :x
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

to add to that...

Post by Dajoka86 » February 16th, 2005, 9:57 pm

I can kinda see where Jet is coming from...but Gay Puree is probably one of the most disapointing animated films I've ever seen...it's a Chuck Jones cartoon without the vitality of a Chuck Jones cartoon.
DJK

http://davidkantro.blogspot.com/