Would you like to see animated musicals again?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

Would you like to see animated musicals again?

Yes
89%
No
No votes
Maybe
11%

Total votes: 18

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » February 17th, 2005, 3:15 pm

I think this is what defined Disney animation. Not traditional or CG, but the musical. Home on the Range was a musical (not a full-blown one, but a musical none-the-less). Alemida Slim sang Yodel-Eedle-Idle-Oo in addition to the other songs (like the great Little Patch of Heaven). I think Alan Menkin should do more movies with Glenn Slater (his partner in HotR). I can't wait for Repunzel when we get the next Disney musical.

Also, the best musicals are ones that contain a show-stopping number (like Aladdin, Hunchback, TLK, etc.).
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 17th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Menken and Slater have recently been working on the new songs for the Little Mermaid Broadway show. From what I understand, Menken stated that working with Slater is the closest thing to working with Ashman that he's done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2005, 5:46 pm

Also, the best musicals are ones that contain a show-stopping number (like Aladdin, Hunchback, TLK, etc.).
I totally agree. That's what so many animated films have been missing. I mean, half of what makes so many Disney films great are those SONGS!
What would "Snow White" be without "Some Day My Prince Will Come"??
POE had an AMAZING score, if a few too many songs.

(This may sound weird but part of why I like South Park:Bigger, Longer and Uncut is the music. I mean, those are really GOOD songs. It makes you want more Disney musicals.)

Re: Satan's song "Up there". Believe it or not, that's actually a really good song. My favorite one in the film is the opening number, "Quiet Mountain Town." It's REALLY catchy.)

"Just another Sunday Morning in my quiet little mountain town." SO CUTE.

I liked "Blame Canada," but it was definetely not my favorite one. Funny how that's the one that got the Oscar nom.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 19th, 2005, 6:27 pm

From what I read somewhere, I think that it got the nomination because it was the best of the "least-offensive" songs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2005, 9:49 pm

I thought the Brian Boitano one was pretty good. 8)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 20th, 2005, 2:26 pm

Kyle's Mom Is A Bitch is an absolute classic. Also, Team America has some great songs, like the "Pearl Harbour sucked" song, or "Lonely". Genius.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2005, 5:35 pm

You mean "Ronery"! :)

Loved TA:WP - best film of the year so far.

By the way...who to replace Ashman/Menken? How about Douek/Simon, whom Don Hahn said had created songs with "wonderful melodies and clever, witty lyrics"? :)

How do I know? I was one of those guys in the room. Of course, it didn't lead to a songwriting deal, unfortunately!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 27th, 2005, 1:26 am

I didn't like Team America as much as South Park: BLU -- it just seemed to lack focus and try to skewer too many people all at once --, but I'm tempted to get the soundtrack for it. The soundtrack for this film and South Park:BLU are probably the best parts of BOTH films.

I was amazed by the opening song "Everyone Has AIDs" but I guess I shouldn't been TOO surprised seeing who wrote the film! :lol:

The Kim Il Jong "Ronery" solo is the best song in the film, though.

The Film Actors Group definitely got what was coming to them, though. Stone and Parker have definitely said they have even less use for most celebrities than politicians. It was refreshing to see NO PUNCHES PULLED in spite of the fact that the film's executive producer was buddies with one of the action film fellows they were making fun of. I'm sure every filmgoer and cultural critic that's gotten sick of bad films, overbloated action epics, and egocentric actors appreciated something in this film.

I might still get the film on DVD, though, along withi South Park:BLU when Paramount finally releases a cut of that film with commentary and extras...

The Team America DVD is supposed to have the footage that got cut out of the theatrical release. I thought as it was that the film was more than mildly suggestive and graphic -- in a funny way. It'd be interesting to see what got the MPAA up in arms about the original love scenes.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2005, 3:27 pm

From what I hear, the first DVD will be a bare-bones, rated edition, while we'll have to wait for a special unrated edition later down the line.

MATT DAMON! ;)