Do you pefer the movie adaption, or the book?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Do you pefer the movie adaption, or the book?

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » May 28th, 2009, 8:02 am

There have been a few or should I say alot of movies based on books. Normally some of them do justice while others dont go well for people who enjoyed the book{No offness to anyone}.

So has there been a book you read but did you like the movie adpation of it or not? Ive read Mrs.fribsy and the Rats of nimh but I havent watched the movie yet. Although I heard good things about the movie....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 28th, 2009, 12:44 pm

The movie is different from the book, but it's good. As far as other adaptations go, I actually like the film version of Pet Sematary better than the book, but the book's author wrote the screenplay, so that's okay.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 28th, 2009, 2:57 pm

As a book, Jurassic Park makes a great film. ;)

As a film, Congo makes a great book! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » May 28th, 2009, 5:17 pm

While the film version almost always ends up being changed or "simplified" in the translation, it can often make up for the literary loss by capitalizing on the strengths of a purely visual medium.

Sometimes both have something to offer a story. Example: the Lord of the Rings films managed a softer, more grandfatherly rendition of Gandalf. I prefer my books as books and films as films, but if we do grab stories from one for use in the other I don't mind it so long as the given medium makes the story and presentation its own, not strongly tethered to the original form.

(Aside: Sometimes I feel it's best for both works to dismantle any connection whatsoever, such as with a Starship Troopers. Being the kind of film it is, I think it would've done much better as its own IP rather than chain Heinlein's name to the film or chain Verhoeven's name to the book. The two souls were operating on different planes altogether with their sci-fi visions and it is unfortunate that a commercial tie-in would mandate their unwilling proximity.)