What 2D Animated Fairytale/Story do you Wish Disney made?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

What 2D Animated Fairytale/Story do you Wish Disney made?

Post by NightfallValley » June 7th, 2009, 11:38 am

I always hoped for the Snow Queen or The Firebird.

I guess the one I REALLY wanted Disney to make was Midsummer Night's Dream. I thought it was perfect...romance, fairies, goofy comedic characters (the actors), kiddie humor, adult humor...I'd love to see this as a Disney (or Dreamworks, Bluth, ect.) movie.

What stories would y'all like to see animated?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 7th, 2009, 12:38 pm

I'm surprised "The Pied Piper" hasn't been turned into one by Disney. I think it would be excellent material for Alan Menken and Tim Rice to turn into a big Broadway-style animated musical. It could be told from the point of view of both the village people and the mice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 7th, 2009, 2:25 pm

On the subject of musicals, looks like we can only dream of what Disney would've done with "The King & I", before Richard Rich singlehandedly bungled the whole then-buzzing mid-90's studio notion for reanimating classic Broadway. :(

(But then, outside of "Brigadoon", "Camelot", "Annie Get Your Gun" or "Finian's Rainbow", can't think what remaining classic musicals would've been fantastic-setting enough for animation to try, without overstepping the "If it can be done in live-action..." rule--
It was only the third-party Disney-Wannabes that were chained to using human characters in their movies because they didn't know any better, and by that point, Disney had already been burned on "Hunchback"'s own stage-cramps.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 7th, 2009, 3:44 pm

If Disney was able to successfully turn Beauty & The Beast and The Lion King into stage shows*, then I'm sure they could adapt a Broadway musical into an animated film (though Peter Pan was originally a play).

*Heck, it seems like the only musicals opening on Broadway right now are based on films: Mary Poppins, The Little Mermaid, Young Frankenstein (which I thought Mel Brooks did an excellent job on), Shrek, Catch Me If You Can, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Hairspray, The Color Purple and even Legally Blond. I could go on and on.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 7th, 2009, 5:46 pm

It's the same here in London with these "moviecals" opening all the time.

At least you didn't have to suffer the Lord Of The Rings! Now that was painful!

As for a fairytale I'd like to see Disney make...well, my own musical take on The Emperor's New Clothes would be up there! We presented our story, score (16 song demos!) and characters to none other than Don Hahn, who admitted he had issues with the original story to begin with, but called our take "the best animated version" that he'd come across. Of course, we don't know if he was being kind, but he was good enough to contact the DTV unit at the time, who were developing a series of first-run fairytale movies for home video and DVD. They liked what we had, but top of the bill back then was The Ugly Duckling, whose continuous story problems saw that project - and the DTV fairytales unit - closed down, so we never got our chance. :(

But...it's still ready to go...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 7th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Well, here in Toronto, The Lord of the Rings did open. But, I never bothered to see it.

The Emperor's New Clothes sounds like a great idea and it's awesome that you got to pitch it to Don Hahn. Hopefully, it can be produced one day.

And I know the chances of this are small, but I would like to see Roger Allers' Kingdom of the Sun. I understand it had story problems and I love The Emperor's New Groove, but it's definitely a project that would be interesting if completed. The two un-used songs included on the soundtrack are wonderful (especially Yzma's big number, "Snuff Out the Light") and it would definitely be a worthy idea if Disney included, say, the last pre-Groove version of Kingdom of the Sun on a future special edition.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 7th, 2009, 7:46 pm

I've always thought that Bunnicula would make a good, funny movie. And there were five books in the series (the others being Howliday Inn, The Celery Stalks at Midnight, Nighty Nightmare and Return to Howliday Inn) so there's built in sequel possibilities.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 7th, 2009, 8:24 pm

There are 5 books in the Bunnicula series?? I thought there was only 3. My favourite was Howliday Inn. I may have to hunt down the last 2 even though I have own grown the targeted audience by many years.

I second the notion for Kingdom Of The Sun to see the light of day even if it's on a special addition of The Emperor's New Groove. Everytime I listen to Groove's soundtrack I start thinking about what could have been. I love the 3 unused songs - from a musical point of view and absolutley adore One Day You'll Love Me. Does anybody know how far into production was, was there animated sequences or is most of it just storyboards? I'd be happy just to see the songs in animated form to be frank.

Love to see your Emperor's New Clothes movie Ben, but I can see now that the youth of today would think it was a seqeul to The Emperor's New Groove or you were trying to cash in on Groove. LOL

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 7th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Disney won't even release the acclaimed documentary about 'the making of' Kingdom of the Sun; that thing's locked-down tighter than Song of the South. So, I rather doubt there will be a DVD release of the actual 'work-print' of Kingdom of the Sun anytime soon.

I still find it somewhat incredible (and delightful) that a deluxe 2-disc set was released for The Emperor's New Groove.

---------------------------

I'm not sure how the topic wandered from fairy-tales to Broadway musicals .. but I've long wished to see an animated adaptation of the L'il Abner stage musical (which would be a natural project for a lush 'tradigital/hand-drawn' treatment, IMO).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 7th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Does anybody know how far into production was, was there animated sequences or is most of it just storyboards? I'd be happy just to see the songs in animated form to be frank.
In Jim Hill's massive article about the production of "Kingdom of the Sun", he wrote that Andreas Deja did manage to complete Yzma's big musical number. However, when the character was re-written for The Emperor's New Groove, he left the project to work on Lilo.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 7th, 2009, 10:47 pm

Jukebox musicals and moviecals - blech!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 8th, 2009, 4:11 am

Disney won't even release the acclaimed documentary about 'the making of' Kingdom of the Sun; that thing's locked-down tighter than Song of the South. So, I rather doubt there will be a DVD release of the actual 'work-print' of Kingdom of the Sun anytime soon.
From Disney's perspective I can understandwhy they wouldn't want to release Sweatbox since it does paint the studio in a bad light regarding decision making etc but not to release footage from Kingdom for the same reason whould be a shame.

Who knows, maybe in 30 years time someone will discover the stuff in the vault and piece it all together for us and release it

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » June 8th, 2009, 8:17 am

Im surprised nobody mentioned Zorro. I mean I would like to see an animated verision be tackled.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 8th, 2009, 11:09 am

There was an animated Zorro tv series back in the 90s, but I haven't seen it so I can't say if it's any good or not.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Trusted Vizier » June 11th, 2009, 1:20 pm

It's not really a fairy-tale (though it reminded me of one, when I first read it) but I think that "The Golden Pot" by Hoffman would make a nice animated movie.