YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by droosan » September 12th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Here's a pretty intriguing look at Glen Keane demo'ing Google's VR paint software TiltBrush .. in which he 'draws' Ariel and the Beast with virtual brushstrokes in 3-dimensional space. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 12th, 2015, 10:50 pm

That is incredible.

It's an intriguing continuation of what he started with Deep Canvas, of attempting to create more depth with hand-drawn technique in the computer, but not actually relying on "CG" models. It would be fascinating to see something like this move, of even for an experimental short of some kind. But truly inspiring stuff!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 13th, 2015, 12:41 am

Neat! It will be interesting to see where such a technique can lead.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 23rd, 2015, 11:05 pm

This is pretty great...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 5th, 2015, 11:46 pm

A video I recorded, though you'll have to apologize that I didn't position the phone correctly and you'll have to bump up the volume.

So anyway... this is from a year ago when John Cleese was doing a book tour for the autobiography he finally got around to writing "So Anyway..." His stop at the University of San Diego was hosted by Bob Odenkirk and the event was capped off with them reading a script from the pre-Monty Python series At Last the 1948 Show. I missed a few lines of the opening, but the script is reprinted in full in John's book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 6th, 2015, 3:10 pm

A few episodes of At Last the 1948 Show are already available on DVD in the US, where Cleese and Graham Chapman worked with Tim (Goodies) Brooke-Taylor and Marty Feldman.

Some of the Python sketches were originally written for a giddy, overexcitable Brooke-Taylor, and the Python's "Bookshop" sketch started out as a Feldman original.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 6th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Have the DVD, though there's a group in England that's been dedicated to locating all the episodes in their entirety. I understand they're short a couple episodes from getting them all.

Four Yorkshiremen also originated from the 1948 show, which is why Tim and Marty are credited whenever the Pythons perform the sketch.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2015, 4:15 am

Don't forget the late 60s radio series, I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, too. Even closer to Python and another tryout for many of the same sketches and characters. If anything, Python was very much a visual version of this show. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 7th, 2015, 10:37 am

A super young Hugh Jackman being profiled as he was about to take the lead in a production of Sunset Blvd. But the highlight is that this video includes footage of his playing Gaston in Beauty and the Beast.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 7th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Ben wrote:Don't forget the late 60s radio series, I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, too. Even closer to Python and another tryout for many of the same sketches and characters. If anything, Python was very much a visual version of this show. :)
The 1948 Show also reunited for the "How to Irritate People" special:
Which among other proto-Python archivia, had Brooke-Taylor in the "Management Training Interview" and "Pepperpot Quiz Show" ("What is the main food that penguins eat?"), explained why the mangy housewives were called "Pepperpots", and even gives us a sketch with Michael Palin as a shady car salesman trying to explain to Chapman why his car isn't really broken...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Funny enough, I was just watching that the other night.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 17th, 2015, 4:25 pm

This is actually kind of perfect...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2016, 3:51 am

A very cool point-by-point analysis comparing Who Framed Roger Rabbit to the novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit. (spoilers of course!) :)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2016, 5:53 am

Probably the most child-traumatizing opening credits sequence ever made. (And the most ingenious.) Wayyyyy scarier than the actual movie. :shock:

I can't believe how amazing it is to see simple 2d drawings again, and how much more effectively scarier they would be compared with any CGI effects! (IMHO anyway ;) )

And wow...how much I miss that old Walt Disney Pictures logo! :cry:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 31st, 2016, 6:04 am

Well I wouldn't call them "simple"! There's a lot of very complicated things going on in that sequence that could be easy-peasy in CG.

And don't forget that this was for a film that tried to kill off its child cast every ten minutes or so!

I haven't missed animated drawings (I just can't call them 2D...they have as much depth to them as CG or our world, merely in a caricatured way instead) since I do keep up a healthy rewatching of classic animated films and the occasional show on TV.

But I do miss animated title sequences in general...they used to be a staple of family or caper style movies, now sadly replaced with flashy CG logos and the like.

Thanks for posting that Roger clip above, Vi. Watched half and although I know the changes from the novel it's fun to see how they have explained it! Will watch the other half when I get a chance. :)