YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by Dacey » December 1st, 2018, 10:29 pm

Very nice animation, even if the commercial has very little to do with the product its advertising...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 2nd, 2018, 8:52 pm

Fun (but also kind of painful) Kids React vid showing how much exposure under-12 children nowadays have had to Classic Disney animated films, specifically from the 1930s to the 1960s. (Not a whole lot.). Also, I couldn’t help wondering if any of them had ever watched a Mickey, Donald or Goofy short. In my opinion (well, an educated guess) the chances of that are virtually nil. :|

https://youtu.be/BqtrjPGIZxY
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 3rd, 2018, 4:56 am

Dace..."Papergirl"...? ;)

Vi...was quite impressed how they did kind of know most of those songs, even the earliest ones; the scores didn’t always tally with what they knew even if they couldn’t name it. Kind of does show how the reissue and remake plan does make those old films new again...but I’ll bet most knew Bare Necessities from the Favreau movie than the original...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 3rd, 2018, 5:38 am

Ben wrote:Vi...was quite impressed how they did kind of know most of those songs, even the earliest ones; the scores didn’t always tally with what they knew even if they couldn’t name it. Kind of does show how the reissue and remake plan does make those old films new again...but I’ll bet most knew Bare Necessities from the Favreau movie than the original...
Most of the songs are pretty well beaten into their heads from the theme parks, if nothing else--They seemed to know "When You Wish Upon a Star" from something.
The songs get exposure, it's Vi's question of whether they've actually seen a Mickey or Donald short that's the real question--Since Disney's kept them "hidden" for forty years on cable and hard-to-find video, as too prestige an item to play mere mainstream...I've been watching Disney since they used to show the 50's Mickey Mouse Club on 70's TV, and I don't think I'VE even seen more than two or three Mickey shorts in my life.
(And wait, Walt DIDN'T write "To all who come to this happy place, welcome"? :( )

Now, as to many of the same kids not recognizing Warner's Looney Tunes characters, THAT'S just plain criminal neglect: :evil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRnYPpymzrE

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 3rd, 2018, 11:03 am

Ben wrote:"Papergirl"...? ;)
I didn't mention that in my first post, but yeah, the "vibe" of that short is definitely there.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 4th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Ben wrote:Dace..."Papergirl"...? ;)

Vi...was quite impressed how they did kind of know most of those songs, even the earliest ones; the scores didn’t always tally with what they knew even if they couldn’t name it. Kind of does show how the reissue and remake plan does make those old films new again...but I’ll bet most knew Bare Necessities from the Favreau movie than the original...
Yeah, I see what you’re saying, Ben. Actually on the one hand I was also impressed with the knowledge that they did display, I just wished wished they had more of it lol.

It just kind of made me sad that they haven’t had more exposure to Classic Disney. :? And to the shorts in particular. Although I realize that those haven’t been part of any kind of mass media (meaning network, cable or premium cable) for a very long time, and that many people, adults included, haven’t seen any of them. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 7th, 2018, 12:14 am

Some 'next level' animatronics, here .. Belle with the lantern is amazing :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 7th, 2018, 3:43 am

Wow. Come 2055, maybe the Pirates *will* eat the tourists! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 21st, 2018, 2:15 am

caiutr.jpg
caiutr.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 8631 times

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 26th, 2018, 11:21 am

1981: Leonard Nimoy demonstrates the Magnavision LaserDisc Player by somehow communicating with a beeping rock that apparently works for Magnavox!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 26th, 2018, 12:54 pm

James wrote:1981: Leonard Nimoy demonstrates the Magnavision LaserDisc Player by somehow communicating with a beeping rock that apparently works for Magnavox!
(And you know it's the future, because his CRT tube set is 23"!) :lol:

Ah, the naive early days when movies in your home! was considered its own marketable miracle:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 27th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Actually, it was marketed long before that. 16mm and, more generally, 8mm film print collecting was alive and well in the late 60s and boom days of the 1970s, when screen sizes could easily be 8' or more and stereophonic sound (and even 'Scope anamorphic lenses!) was available to those with the really hardcore setups.

A massive market, for those who didn’t want to take a mortgage out to buy a print of their favorite film, was the "condensed edition", which would reduce a feature down to a highlights reel or two. An average film could be cut to around a half hour to provide a highlights package, with some basically being a ten minute trailer of memorable bits. Some of these condensed versions are popping up as extras on some limited Blu-ray discs as a bit of fun...I still have several, including my approx. 12 min cutdown of Superman The Movie that is hysterically fast paced and nonsensical.

Still, these "movies in the home" were the only way to relive the big screen experience until (longer but inferior) tapes and (better but still small screen) discs came along...! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 28th, 2018, 11:47 pm

You're welcome...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 29th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Dacey wrote:You're welcome...
(Yes, I hate Warner/DC too, but has Cartoon Network's pathological loathing of Hanna-Barbera so psychologically indoctrinated an early-00's generation to consider Aquaman a crime against humanity, by mandatory law?
You've got Aquaman jokes coming from people too young to have ever seen Superfriends in their LIVES... :shock: )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 29th, 2018, 1:26 pm

....what? :?