So, what do you think of the iPad?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

So, what do you think of the iPad?

Post by GeorgeC » January 27th, 2010, 8:15 pm

iPad... the rumored touch tablet that Apple's been working.

The mythical prophesized savior of print media.

I think in theory it's a fine device (maybe after Round 2 or 3 of revisions) but still think it's a bit expensive.

I also have worries about its durability, too.

I know I have my iPod Classic (80GB) wrapped in a silicon jacket with a plastic screencover and never carry that thing around without a protective strapcase! Portable electronics just attract scratches and stupid people who don't respect your gear.

(When I still owned a PlayStation Portable, first thing I did was buy screen protectors and a silicon body glove for that thing. Never took it around without being in a camera case. The darn things break too easy!)

It might or might not take off. Mainstream? Not quite yet.

The Apple-faithful and tech junkies will probably still gobble this thing up.

I don't quite think it has enough features to entice me, though, and feel that the introductory models have pathetic storage capacity for the price. (I gobble up drive capacity by the GB because of all my video work. 64 GB just won't cut it for me...) Naturally, tech-heads will say what do you expect for LCD and flash drives?

At some point in time, I do think periodicals and comic books could be delivered electronically to a device like this for reading. Is it going to replace books and hardcover reprint collections -- probably not. It's going to be better for disposable media IMHO. Disposable is what's really hurting now.

(I still would rather have my DC Archives and other reprint HC's for the stuff I really like, though.)

I'm also interested in the art applications since it is coming with a drawing application.

Again, I'm not going to be in on this round. I don't think it's quite there yet and it's out of my price range for what Apple is offering now.

Like the iPod and iPhone, it's probably better for the average person to wait a year and two and see what improvements will come down the line for Round 2/Round 3 of the iPad.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 27th, 2010, 11:15 pm

I've never had a portable media device--- MP3 player, iPod, iPhone, or even a cell phone. Furthermore, for computer work, I still prefer a PC to a laptop. So, I'm not really looking for an iPad.

However, my wife inherited her sister's old Kindle, and loves it; and I could see using an eBook reader. Of course, there are other eBook readers out there, and more to come. I don't need an iPad, necessarily.

As for comics, I could see switching to digital for monthlies, but I would still buy special stuff in hardcover, for sure.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 28th, 2010, 10:13 am

I'll be the first in line to buy one. I have a really nice Mac Pro as my main machine where I do all my work. I recently bought a netbook to have a portable computer for around the house. But I've ended up using my iPhone much more than the netbook. Not sure what it is but the netbook just is not doing for me when I'm upstairs lounging on the couch surfing the web or checking email. So I think I'll sell this netbook and put the money in my iPad fund!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 28th, 2010, 10:58 am

No surprises on the name - everyone was guessing at iPad for this! :)

It does look neat...like a giant iPhone, and I'm not surprised James is going to be first in line. :)

However, as someone yet to even get a decent mobile phone, or even switch to the Mac, I can't see the point in rushing to get one. I'm kind of with George there where I think that two or three versions down the line it may really start to appeal more and I get one for doing various bits, but probably only once I've finally made the switch to Apple anyway.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 28th, 2010, 11:39 am

I will never buy Apple anything. Apple stuff is way too expensive and their ads are incredibly snobbish. I was able to get an 8GB Phillips mp3 player for $100 less than an 8GB ipod, for instance. Apple is a status symbol. You're paying for the name. I don't play that game.

Besides, I got my PC in 2004 and never had any major problems at all until very recently, so reports of PC's unreliability are greatly exagerated.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 28th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Yes. Way too expensive. Even though the iPad is half as much as most people predicted, you can get an iPhone for $99 new, and a ton of reports have conclusively proven that Macs cost the same as PC's that have the same features. Yes, Apple fans are "playing a game" not the detractors.

Not sure how old you are but it probably doesn't matter. PC fans always forget the 1990's when they were the snobs who had the most popular stuff and Apple was going downhill.

As for the "status symbol" stuff, you obviously have not used many Apple products seriously if you think their stuff is exactly the same as everyone else's other than the name. Their usability is so far ahead of anything else it's almost funny. If you really think an Phillips MP3 player is as good as an iPod, you obviously don't care for much other than strict function. That's fine -- no problem with that at all! But don't criticize those who want something more, like intuitive interfaces, style, and an overall better experience.

I can make toast by holding a match under the bread. That doesn't mean my toaster is a status symbol just because it costs more, is easier to use, and looks better doing it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 28th, 2010, 2:26 pm

I have no problem with the iPod, nor the iPhone, as a device.

But the fact that they require me to play media via iTunes makes them 'useless' to me. :P

iTunes (on a PC, anyway) is :evil:

Just my opinion, based on my experience. YMMV .. :wink:

Speaking of forgetting what it was like in the '90's (and toasters!), I sometimes still miss my Amiga. It was a pretty capable 'media device' which neither PC's nor Macs could match, at the time.

--------------

As for the iPad .. it's nothing I'd personally need.

I'm patiently waiting for flexible OLED screens to become an affordable reality. Then you could roll up your portable device and stuff it in your backpack, without worrying about scratches and such.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 28th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Have you tried DoubleTwist? Basically a more open iTunes replacement for just about any device, including iPods.