Commodore

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Commodore

Post by James » March 16th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Wow. This brings back a lot of memories! My first computer was a Commodore 16 and then later a Vic-20. I may have to get this!

http://www.commodoreusa.citymax.com/gallery.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 17th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Ahaa! That's great!

I started on a Vic-20, went to a C-64 and then, getting into video and genlocks (wow, remember those!?), an Amiga 1200, which was basically brilliant for graphics and animation creation.

Didn't Apple manage to bundle everything into one box, or am I thinking of the monitor with the drives in the bottom of it? About time that someone basically created a keyboard with the computer attached, and I love that any OS can be installed on it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Commodore

Post by droosan » March 20th, 2010, 4:01 pm

My first computer was an Amiga 1200. For graphics and animation, it was absolutely well ahead of its time. :)

It's too bad Commodore considered themselves more of a calculator company than a computer company. Things might be very different now, had they not allowed the Amiga brand to 'fizzle out' in the mid-1990's. :|

FWIW, Asus will also soon release an EeePC with a 'keyboard computer' form factor. Funny how everything old becomes new again, once in a while. :wink:

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » March 20th, 2010, 4:18 pm

I got a C64 last week with five games.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2010, 2:32 am

This is quite bizarre but interesting: what C64 would be like on the iphone:

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 22nd, 2010, 7:39 am

I've actually got that app.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » March 22nd, 2010, 3:03 pm

Commodore LCD! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 13th, 2013, 4:50 pm

This is just so cute. These kids are smart!

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Interesting commercial for the Vic-20 from 1982. The weird thing was that all these early 80s advertisements always bragged how much an average person could do on a personal computer while you could basically do zilch other than play the same games you’d get on an Atari. I think it improved somewhat as the eighties wore on, but by and large unless you were a hardcore techie like Matthew Broaderick in WarGames most computers that “regular people” used were basically much more expensive gaming systems.

https://youtu.be/FRzooFx19Ug

https://clickamericana.com/topics/disco ... puter-1983

An early 80s Internet prototype for the average person: I didn’t even know programs like this existed! :shock: I mean the ad makes it look really simple but how many people were actually able to log on through a phone modem in 1983 and actually check out news, the stock market, electronic mail, sports, movie reviews, job listings and a ton of other stuff? I admit I don’t know enough about this subject :oops: but if “Internet” was available to the average person during the same time Ms. Pac-Man was popular wouldn’t we have heard more about it??

I’m probably missing something here, so any info is much appreciated! :)