Copyrights Keep TV Shows Off DVD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Copyrights Keep TV Shows Off DVD

Post by GeorgeC » March 3rd, 2005, 12:40 am

Time to knock Song of the South off the top of the Home Video section of the forum and get down to something nitty-gritty that affects fans of classic TV shows being released to DVD...

There's an article on the Wired website called "Copyrights Keep TV Shows Off DVD" at http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,66696,00.html

Very, very interesting.

It goes into the issue of high music-licensing fees. It flat out states this IS the main reason why certain shows like WKRP and Ally McBeal haven't had full-season set releases in the US yet.

(Predictions are that WKRP will NEVER see a season set DVD release precisely because of all the licensed music that appears in every episode!)

While this hasn't been an issue with any animated release I can think of, it's true that some movies AND TV DVD releases have had music changed much to the dismay of fans because of high-licensing fee issues.

This could be the next widescreen/full-screen debacle affecting future DVD releases, folks. It's that serious.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2005, 1:32 pm

The recent Striperella (don't worry... I only heard about this!) set apparently falls victim to this, but sounded like it was beyond saving anyway.

Not a new thing, it's what held up a number of live action films coming to video/LaserDisc in the 80s and 90s, as well as some of the Disney features (I believe Peggy Lee's estate got a pretty big payoff to release Lady And The Tramp on videocassette).

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 3rd, 2005, 9:18 pm

or they could just be like the muppets/disney an chop whole songs out in the us release....

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 4th, 2005, 1:06 am

Copyright/royalty issues supposedly also kept Disney's Snow White from being released on home video for many years, too.

The situation may have been that the voice actress of Snow White was suing the company under circumstances somewhat similar to Peggy Lee's. I'm not sure if there was a settlement in any case, but that's probably what happened.

Stories are that Peggy Lee's fight with Disney may have contributed to her decline in health, but I've read that she was a heavy smoker, too.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 7th, 2005, 3:47 pm

I thought the stotry on Snow White was it would nver be on video because it was out of respect? That's what they were spouting.

I wonder if we'll ever see Jungle Book again after all those legal woes with Louis Prisma's widow.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2005, 11:13 am

Jungle Book is late 2006 or 2007.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » March 8th, 2005, 12:09 pm

I believe that Louis Prima's widow was only concerned with people imitating his voice. She is proud of his contirbution to Jungle Book, and doesn't want it diminished by the likes of Jim Cummings. Releasing the original movie is OK, but don't expect King Louie to appear in anything new.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 8th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Do you think Tale Spin and Jungle Cubs will ever be released on DVD then?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » March 8th, 2005, 2:15 pm

I don't really know, but I'm afraid not.