A long-time iconic hero dies... and is avenged by another!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

A long-time iconic hero dies... and is avenged by another!

Post by GeorgeC » December 14th, 2010, 10:50 am

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/zorro-d ... 01214.html

Supposedly Zorro, the Fox, dies and is avenged by a newly minted Lone Ranger in a comic book mini-series being released next year by Dynamite Entertainment.

Maybe if the buzz is good enough, I'll get it in hard cover or trade paperback.

BOTH these characters were heroes of mine before I turned 10. I remember seeing reruns of the Lone Ranger TV series starring Clayton Moore as the masked man in the late 1970s. I also saw the Filmation Lone Ranger series in the 1970s. I was vaguely aware of Zorro through a Filmation animated series and rebroadcasts of the Guy Williams' Disney series on Disney Channel in the 1990s. My reaction to Williams' portrayal was so positive that I bought the original B&W version of the Disney Zorro series when it was released as the final two Disney Treasures tins! No colorized Zorro for me. I hate colorization and feel that it robs from the charm of the original B & W.

These characters may not be as prominent today as they used to be but their historical value is significant. They were inspirations to the creators of later characters such as Batman and the Green Hornet.

Even though he dies in this storyline there are still plenty of stories to be told with The Fox! Likewise for his western descendant, the Lone Ranger.