General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Insert Coin - amazing stop motion video

Post by James » December 15th, 2010, 10:51 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 16th, 2010, 9:50 am

Wow, when you say "amazing", you really mean it! That's phenomenal, and while it was playing I was really hoping it's not an elaborate CG trick. The behind the scenes at the end was a terrific validation, even if they did have a bit of CG "help" by way of mapping out the movement before hand, which is also a clever way of achieving this.

But even so, that must have taken the best part of at least a year to put together...pretty darn cool.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Wow!

That's some sophisticated stop motion... and all with coins that look to be quarter-sized!

I was most impressed by the maze sequences and the moving polygonal sequences. Talk about tedious work to get something that good-looking. It reminds why I never cared to do stop motion myself. It has to be the most tedious of all animation techniques and that's saying quite a bit... because all animation techniques are tedious!

The "3D' parts of this video remind most of the old vector graphics like Tempest, Asteroids, Battlezone, Star Castle, and the original Star Wars arcade game. I just loved the look of those classic games -- especially Tempest and Star Wars. Unlike the original games which used two point to define lines and simulate 3D well before more efficient CPU's and graphic cards made it possible to model with polygons, these animators were emulating 3D with coins!

Props to them... They had to be crazy AND ambitious to do this short film with only coins!