Quentin Tarantino's Top 20 Favorite Films of 2010

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Quentin Tarantino's Top 20 Favorite Films of 2010

Post by Dan » January 5th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Quentin Tarantino announced through his Archives web site (tarantino.info) his twenty favorites films of 2010 in ranking order. Tarantino's lists have generally been considered fascinating as he tends to takes folks by surprise given his love for the art of cinema. After all, he would go so far as to consider Bryan Singer's work on Superman Returns the best direction of 2006.

So this year's list is sure to raise many eyebrows.

20. Jackass 3-D

19. Amer

18. Robin Hood

17. How to Train Your Dragon

16. The Kids Are Alright

15. The King's Speech

14. The Fighter

13. Get Him to the Greek

12. Knight and Day

11. Kick-Ass

10. Enter the Void
(Tarantino - "Hands down best credit scene of the year... Maybe best credit scene of the decade. One of the greatest in cinema history.")

9. Cyrus

8. Greenberg

7. The Town

6. True Grit

5. Tangled

4. I Am Love

3. Animal Kingdom

2. The Social Network

1. Toy Story 3

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 5th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Two animated in the Top 5. Nice.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Though I was ready to spit on his grave for thinking Singer's direction was Super (anything but!), Quentin has redeemed himself with a pretty good list: Tangled at five and Toy Story 3 beating Social Network? Nice indeed!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Quentin Tarantino's Top 20 Favorite Films of 2010

Post by LotsoA113 » January 5th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Where is Scott Pilgrim on that list?

On a slight side note..does Quentin noting Toy Story 3 as his favorite film of the year help TS3's Best Picture chances? Quentin also is a voter so.... :wink:

On a slight side note, Ben, what did you think of Tangled & The Social Network? I've always adored your reviews (though I strongly disagree with your Up, TS3 & Princess and The Frog reviews) and would like to hear your thoughts. course, you might be saving a Tangle review for its March home video bow, but what did you think of The Social Network?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Yep, I'll likely be reviewing Tangled come March. It hasn't opened in the UK yet, so haven't seen it, and missed Social Network. I wasn't too bothered seeing a film about a website I don't use, and then it had gone from our local cinema by the time the awards buzz began.

Quentin's only one voter, but it could be likely that his coming out with such a public support of the film could at least help other voters feel like they can vote for a cartoon and feel cool with it. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Quentin Tarantino's Top 20 Favorite Films of 2010

Post by LotsoA113 » January 6th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Social Network is a great film..don't worry; it isn't about a bunch of guys just IM'ing on Facebook.
Ben wrote:Quentin's only one voter, but it could be likely that his coming out with such a public support of the film could at least help other voters feel like they can vote for a cartoon and feel cool with it.
True. If there's one guy who can make cartoons cool, it's the guy who directed cult hits like Pulp Fiction and Grindhouse
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2011, 9:30 am

...and Kill Bill, which had a whole anime segment. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 7th, 2011, 11:35 am

Kill Bill, which still hasn't materialized in the Director's Cut promised nearly 10 years ago...!

Kill Bill's not worth picking up on BD, either. It's early generation BD and really isn't better looking than the DVD versions. Lots of compression artifacts. Someone at Disney probably tried to save money and use the MPEG-2 masters on BD. That doesn't work well!

Maybe after the Weinstein Company gets more settled financially they'll create new hi-def masters for those films. I have my doubts but sometimes miracles happen.

I haven't seen a lot of the films on that list --- not enough time and I don't want to spend that much time at the theater(!) -- but at least QT's open-minded about theatrical animation.

Wish I could say the same for most film critics!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2011, 2:55 pm

I still haven't picked up the Bills for exactly those reason, George. No director's cut and no decent BDs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 7th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Same here, though the new Steelbook editions released here look real purty and have made it more tempting. But I'm still resisting...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Severen » March 3rd, 2011, 1:37 am

No Inception?