Titanic Mini-Series to commemorate 100th year post-sinking

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Titanic Mini-Series to commemorate 100th year post-sinking

Post by GeorgeC » March 21st, 2011, 4:26 pm

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/titan ... sary-25668

There is a major mini-series being planned to commemorate the 100th anniversary sinking of the Titanic next year. It's a new drama (yet again) recreating the White Star liner's ill-fated maiden voyage.

It's planned as a tri-national funded production. The American ABC channel (ie, Disney!) and UK and Canadian branches of ITV are involved in the planning and shooting of the mini-series. It's at the moment written in to debut near-simultaneously in the UK and Canada on Global TV and ABC in the US. It will be shown elsewhere in the world after it airs in those three countries. Broadcasts are planned for Sweden, Ireland (Titanic was built in Belfast at the old Harland and Wolff Shipyards), and Australia.

The broadcast coincides with a year of celebrations of the ship's demise and eventual discovery 27 years ago (from 2012). Memorial cruises are planned by liners which will sail over the shipwreck site (and dump more garbage on it than they already have!!!!!) as well a new exploratory and salvage operation in 2012.

(Maybe the urban myths behind the ship's discovery will be resolved soon, too?

(I'm not so nationalistic... I don't care if a US Naval Reserve commander found the ship, a Frenchman did, or the Royal Navy did during a sonar test. I just hate mysteries! Classify this event as international because when you get down it, American AND British corporate interests had a hand in creating that ship in the first place! I've read a lot of books and have seen many documentaries about this ship. It's a minor obsession for me...)