"Star Wars" Camera sets record at auction...

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

"Star Wars" Camera sets record at auction...

Post by GeorgeC » December 14th, 2011, 4:49 pm

http://blogs.laweekly.com/stylecouncil/ ... s_worl.php

The original "Star Wars" film is apparently still setting some records... This time in winning bids for movie memorabilia!

A 35mm Panavision used to film the original "Star Wars" set a record this past weekend (of Dec 9-11th) at an auction convened by the Profiles in History auctioneers. The winning bid for the "historic" camera was $625,000.

The camera itself was once a part of the collection of Hollywood memorabilia belonging to Debbie Reynolds. How it came into Reynolds' possession is unknown.

(By coincidence, Reynolds' daughter, Carrie Fisher, portrayed Princess Leia Organa in the first three "Star Wars" movies.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 16th, 2011, 7:16 am

Or the second three, depending on how you look at it. ;)

What a waste of money. There were at least three different cameras used on SW and that was just main unit. VizFX and miniatures would have used a handful too, so to say "a camera" filmed any one film from start to end is rediculous.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2011, 8:31 am

This event only proves that some people still have money to burn and want to impress others, OR that there are really nutty, eccentric wealthy people out there... (As if we didn't know that already!)

You have to be bored to spend your money like that!

Yeah, the camera isn't worth $625,000 originally.

Heck, nowadays these cameras are practically being given away because of the push to all-digital cinematography.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: "Star Wars" Camera sets record at auction...

Post by Darklighter » July 27th, 2012, 11:40 am

Do not underestimate the HARRRRDCORE Fans;)I call myself a huge fan of the old Saga and even like the EP.I-III thou, but that ammount of money??? Hell-NO! The most expensive SW-Item I´ve ever bought was a limited Han Solo in Carbonite-figure from FaoSchwarz....still one of the ultimate Highlights in my Collection, but theres a limit. Maybe George Kucas bought it himself ton save some taxes,hahaha.
Darklighter