RIP, Joe Kubert 1926-2012; chronicler of GI's

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

RIP, Joe Kubert 1926-2012; chronicler of GI's

Post by GeorgeC » August 12th, 2012, 9:20 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/joe-kub ... -away.html

It was just announced that Joe Kubert passed away. They don't give a date but just mention that he was briefly hospitalized and passed away suddenly.

Kubert was best known for his work on DC war titles such as Sgt. Rock as well as being the penciler for a good chunk of the 1960s/Silver Age Hawkman stories that redefined that character for decades.

Aside from his work, Kubert was perhaps best-known for the art school that he started which bears his name to this day. Many comic artists and several animation industry regulars have taken coursework at the school or through correspondence courses.

Kubert is survived by two sons, Adam and Andy, who are also acclaimed comic book artists.

Another Golden Ager passes. I say it takes at least five years before the impact gets noticed. It took a while to sink back in the mid-1990s after Jack Kirby died, for sure. Going by just the recent DC TV series alone, these gentlemen have had a huge impact on pop culture...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: RIP, Joe Kubert 1926-2012; chronicler of GI's

Post by Randall » August 13th, 2012, 1:14 am

I loved his Golden Age AND Silver Age Hawkman. I wish that more of his GA stuff was reprinted. I'll certainly be getting the Kubert Archives book coming out soon.

I was never a big fan of war comics, but undoubtedly he made much of his reputation there. Between his work and his school, his legacy is huge.