Bakshi’s son restores deleted Lord of the Rings footage

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Bakshi’s son restores deleted Lord of the Rings footage

Post by Dacey » March 23rd, 2014, 2:53 pm

Even without sound...this is actually better than what ended up in the movie! Looks "animated" as opposed to "clunky."

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/03 ... s-footage/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Bakshi’s son restores deleted Lord of the Rings footage

Post by Randall » March 23rd, 2014, 5:58 pm

Neat to finally see this. A pity that they ran out of time before being able to finish the film properly.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Bakshi’s son restores deleted Lord of the Rings footage

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2014, 3:59 pm

I don't actually believe those two moments are from the 1970s animating period of Bakshi's Rings. I know there's talk of "separating the styles" but that stuff looks either much closer to Bakshi's later work (when he might have been wanting to make his Part II) or his earlier, more "animated" (as Dacey says) work...perhaps coming from when the movie was in prep and was more intended to be fully animated rather than the roto result Bakshi found himself in when the money ran out early.

Whichever way, this is certainly odd: with the money scarce and the rest of the Gandalf motion captured in live-action first, it somehow doesn't feel right that this sequence wasn't rotoscoped with all the rest of his footage, especially as it's much more "cartoony" than the rest of the live-action traced character animation.

Nice to see, but something doesn't quite fit to me...