Will Disney buy DWA? No! Universal did!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Will Disney buy DWA? No! Universal did!

Post by James » September 30th, 2016, 10:01 am

Variety has a ton of articles all about Jeffrey Katzenberg this week:

http://animatedviews.com/2016/variety-g ... -articles/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 30th, 2016, 10:53 am

Thanks James! :) :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 30th, 2016, 3:48 pm

That should keep Vi busy for a while. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 30th, 2016, 6:16 pm

LOL Dacey...I'm in heaven! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 30th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Hmmm I know these articles are meant to be fluffy and nice to the subject, but the one with the composers raised a question for me. I know that Can You Feel The Love Tonight was originally scrapped and then put back in after Elton insisted the movie needed a love song. My interpretation of the story was that after Elton insisted it get returned, the film makers just inserted the song and footage back in where it was originally planned to exist. But that article indicates that the film makers had no idea where to put the song so it flowed with the story etc and it was only the mighty Katzenberg who solved the problem and saved the day. So have I been thinking wrong the whole time about that story?

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of Katzenberg which stems from the way he treated The Black Cauldron, so maybe my ivews are clouded.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 30th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Hmmm I know these articles are meant to be fluffy and nice to the subject, but the one with the composers raised a question for me. I know that Can You Feel The Love Tonight was originally scrapped and then put back in after Elton insisted the movie needed a love song. My interpretation of the story was that after Elton insisted it get returned, the film makers just inserted the song and footage back in where it was originally planned to exist. But that article indicates that the film makers had no idea where to put the song so it flowed with the story etc and it was only the mighty Katzenberg who solved the problem and saved the day. So have I been thinking wrong the whole time about that story?
Katzenberg takes personal credit for a LOT of things, especially where Lion King is concerned. :roll:

We're only getting the flood of articles because they decided to give him a Grauman's print as a retirement present, and it seems a lot more people in Hollywood are enamored of Katz personally than the rest of us are by reputation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2016, 5:13 am

It could be 50/50.

Can You Feel wasn't originally where it ended up, a first being a straight love song, which was then taken out as it slowed the story. Elton complained and got it back in but was shocked when he saw it was in but had become a full comedy number for Timon and Pumbaa. He threw another fit, wanting it to be a classic Disney love song, and Katzenberg may well have solved things by suggesting they approach it from both angles, as it is in the final film where the sidekicks sing in the intro and the last verse it the middle is taken on by the more serious chorus and inner monologues of Simba and Nala.

I haven't read that piece, but I don't think he would have *placed* the song, but could well have ironed out the kinks between both sides to make it work as it does in the film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 13th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Sorry, I know this is a bit late but just thought I should post it anyway:

http://www.animationmagazine.net/people ... 9736328125

Well...I guess that's it.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2016, 4:30 pm

What Judge Doom said about the Red Car company in Roger Rabbit comes to mind...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 13th, 2016, 4:56 pm

If only JK could be Marvin Acme. :( But I guess he's more like RK Maroon. Ugh, what a mess. :roll:

Will always admire JK but very, very disappointed by this. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 13th, 2016, 8:01 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Will always admire JK but very, very disappointed by this. :|
Yes, I'm sure you'll always admire JK for ONE monomaniacally-admired movie franchise that happened to be made by ex-Disney directors--

While so many other people unfairly blacken his reputation for:
- Turning a pissy schoolyard grudge against his old boss into a "movement" to dump infantile shame and abuse on Disney and kick the 90's Renaissance (which he helped found) while it was down
- Playing offensive gender-card kissups in hoping to destroy his professional rivals, duping the entire female demographic into thinking that Frozen was some kind of "enlightenment"
- Creating the "Bully" trope in modern third-party CGI comedies, to teach our young kids that the entire world is basically full of preening-jerk a-holes, and your only hope is to rise above them to avoid being picked on,
- Publicly proclaiming everything from DVD to 3D movies "dead" if his own company had happened to have a bad break with them,
- Running the companies' profits into the ground by pursuing endless franchises to replace the one he'd lost, while promising the stockholders that blue skies were just around the corner,
- And nearly singlehandedly killing off 2D animation by his own hand, when he decided to cover his own rear by doubling down on the latest alibi for why his rapidly aging 2D melodramas were tanking at the box office.

...But hey, how about Dragon 2 and those Panda movies, amirite? :roll:
Last edited by EricJ on December 13th, 2016, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 13th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Eric, take a chill pill.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 13th, 2016, 9:09 pm

Whatever, Eric. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 13th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Hey, look, if the article was basically saying that the layoffs were for all purposes the "death" of Dreamworks, after JK's ousting and the absorption by an utterly uninterested Illumination, could some people at least be allowed the COURTESY of pissing on the corpse? Y'know, like we'd been saintly patient for the last seventeen years to do with some degree of final closure?
Or was that made illegal under the Dragons 2 Religious-Intolerance Act of 2014? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 14th, 2016, 3:00 am

DreamWorks.

JK wasn't ousted.