Best superhero actor?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Best superhero actor?

Post by droosan » September 3rd, 2014, 4:34 pm

Plus, Jennifer Connelly was portraying 'Jenny' -- not Bettie. :wink:

I should clarify that I'm okay with the Howard Hughes swap, now .. it's just that, at the time the movie was released, it struck my younger, less-tolerant self as 'wrong' .. especially considering that so many other details from the comic -- the GeeBee, Bulldog Cafe, Lothar, etc -- were incredibly faithful to Stevens' creation. Actually, the twin-engine rocketpack kinda bugged me, at first, too (again: I love it, now) .. but I did enjoy the gag in which a vacuum-cleaner that resembles the comic's single engine rocketpack was "kept from falling into enemy hands". :lol:

--------------------

I'd also agree with Dacey's choice of Robert Downey Jr.

I loved him in Soap Dish and Chaplin, and thought his acting career would have a bright future .. but he had a bit of trouble there, for several years. :?

I'm really happy that he's managed to turn all that around for himself with the Iron Man and Avengers films. His Tony Stark is great fun to watch. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 3rd, 2014, 7:06 pm

droosan wrote:I should clarify that I'm okay with the Howard Hughes swap, now .. it's just that, at the time the movie was released, it struck my younger, less-tolerant self as 'wrong' .. especially considering that so many other details from the comic -- the GeeBee, Bulldog Cafe, Lothar, etc -- were incredibly faithful to Stevens' creation. Actually, the twin-engine rocketpack kinda bugged me, at first, too (again: I love it, now) .. but I did enjoy the gag in which a vacuum-cleaner that resembles the comic's single engine rocketpack was "kept from falling into enemy hands". :lol:
"Tell (the president) the dream is over, because Doc said so" just wouldn't have the same period-mysterious ring to it.
The whole movie was all about atmosphere (which's why it bored kids silly in the theaters, hence its misunderstood box office at the time), and I'd rather have the atmosphere right than the details.
I don't even fan-nitpick with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, either.

As for RDJ, although Stark can be a wiseass, it still played like Downey looking for roles where he can be 2 Hip 2 Act, and smirk his own self through the role without the burden of too much professionalism.
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in the first X-Men (none of the others, thank you), or Chris Evans in Captain America (even after being appropriately insufferable in the Fantastic Four movie) came out of nowhere with no baggage, and made themselves that much more believable, since the burden of making the character plausible was entirely on their ability to disappear into the role.
And Chris Hemsworth as Thor, the hero is supposed to be a bit goofy and headstrong, so I don't know how much of his capturing that aspect of the character is intentional, but it's a better balance than a more "dedicated" actor would have brought.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 3rd, 2014, 9:06 pm

Hemsworth's Thor is amazing. I never thought anyone could pull off Thor, but he really does it, and makes it seem so natural.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 4th, 2014, 8:16 am

I, um, still need to see the Thor movies. I have the first in the Phase One set, and meant to crack it out before seeing the second, which I never did so I never got around to the first one either! Okay...that's one for an coming movie night... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 4th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Ben wrote:I, um, still need to see the Thor movies. I have the first in the Phase One set, and meant to crack it out before seeing the second, which I never did so I never got around to the first one either! Okay...that's one for an coming movie night... :)
If it helps, you can save time and skip the second. :roll:
But the first is still pretty good, on a "You didn't expect they could get it this right" level.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 4th, 2014, 8:14 pm

To be honest, I'll probably see the second when it comes out in a Phase Two collection or when it plays on TV, whichever is first. That is if I watched the first one by then! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » September 11th, 2014, 11:04 pm

While I wouldn't exactly call him "the best", my personal favorite is Adam West. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 11th, 2014, 11:48 pm

I can't argue with that. :)

I met West a couple of years ago, and told him. "You've always been my Batman, and now you're my kids' Batman." He looked quite affected, and said, "Thank you so much for that."
Calgary-Comic-Expo-001.jpg
Calgary-Comic-Expo-001.jpg (13.92 KiB) Viewed 6577 times

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » September 13th, 2014, 12:30 am

That's awesome!! :D

It's actually one of my life goals to meet him.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Karizma » November 18th, 2014, 4:04 am

Hugh Jackman. Wolverine. I don't think anybody can be more perfect than he is.