EW best/worst songs list

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

EW best/worst songs list

Post by ShyViolet » September 1st, 2014, 10:08 pm

How in the world could they vote My Heart Will Go On over Colors Of The Wind?????
:shock:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Re: EW best/worst songs list

Post by Dacey » September 1st, 2014, 10:32 pm

Because My Heart Will Go On is incredible. People who say otherwise are liars.

Still, bashing Colors of the Wind just felt snarky on their part, but I've never been a fan of "ten worst" lists in the first place. It's like every time someone says something nice about Disney (two very deserving songs in this case), they feel the need to say something negative to "balance things out."

All of that being said, Let It Go did make the list, so I'm happy. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 1st, 2014, 11:36 pm

Yeah, didn't mean to trash it or anything...I'm actually a huge Titanic fan (and I love the soundtrack) just never cared much for that song.
But I just don't understand them bashing COTW...Pocahontas had a great, great soundtrack and score even if the film had its flaws.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 1st, 2014, 11:51 pm

COTW is about my fave Disney song, along with a few of the Hunchback songs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 2nd, 2014, 12:40 am

ShyViolet wrote:Yeah, didn't mean to trash it or anything...I'm actually a huge Titanic fan (and I love the soundtrack) just never cared much for that song.
But I just don't understand them bashing COTW...Pocahontas had a great, great soundtrack and score even if the film had its flaws.
COTW is the most beautiful song about ethnic snottiness ever written. :P
But as a worse Disney big-theme than "Out There" or "Go the Distance"??

Of course it doesn't help that for the Best animated representatives, we had "Circle of Life", "You've Got a Friend in Me", and You Freakin' Guessed It... :roll:
(So, you think liking the Titanic song twenty years later gets giggled at? Just wait.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2014, 6:23 am

I loved Colors Of The Wind the first time I heard it, on the teaser trailer for Pocahontas that played on the front of Lion King. I still loved it when I saw that film again. I loved it when it started getting a lot of raido play, which is when I started loving it a little less. I liked it a lot when the video went into constant rotation, and when I heard it in segments on all the promos for the movie, but it had been played to death by the time Pocahontas actually came out!

Then we were able to get the soundtrack CD, which got played over and over, with Colors being skipped over a few times because of this oversaturation. In the movie, I liked it again because it was in context, but by the time of the deluxe LaserDisc box set, where it was repeated around five times in the featurettes, alternate versions, international language reel and trailers, I was really sick of the thing!

It's a good, strong song, and undeniably one of Disney's best in terms of melody, complexity and what its message is, but I just heard it so, so, so many times during that period that I still have to grit my teeth when it's about to play. In the years where I haven't seen Pocahontas that frequently (the last time was for the Blu-ray review two summers ago) I've naturally come back to the song, but it's never without a call-back to that 1995-96 year when it just swamped everything else and so very nearly got too sour for me!

That all said, I think Worst Lists are spiteful. Of course, "best" and "worst" lists are only the result of someone's opinion, so they can never be "right", but to pick on things that might have been great in their day but have simple dated (not saying Colors has in this respect) is a tad simple and disrespectful.

My Heart Will Go On was just as massively overplayed song as Colors, but I can see why it still pops up in these kinds of lists (mind you, I've seen it turn up in "bad" lists too). As a Titanic nut (both the tragedy and various movies), I like the melody as played in the film, but the Dion song broke it out of that and became almost an anthem for a while there. But even this and other types of these movie songs owe themselves to the Disney template of taking a big number and running it over the end credits, although this actually stretches back to Somewhere Out There from An American Tail in terms of making a song a huge blockbuster single in its own right (and probably, in terms of animated film, even goes back a few years earlier, when Art Garfunkel's Bright Eyes stuck high in the charts for weeks on end and helped sell Watership Down as much as the marketing did).