Possibility of Disney releasing 3D versions of classics.

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Possibility of Disney releasing 3D versions of classics.

Post by Wonderlicious » April 11th, 2005, 12:17 pm

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles ... hp?ID=1383

Apparently, after poor attempts to reissue Pinocchio and The Little Mermaid in the 1990s and the disasters of Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King on IMAX, Disney is toying with the idea of reissuing their classic films in an inventive way on IMAX 3D, with Dumbo being the number one possibility.

It won't be long before we see The Jungle Book in a Smell-o-vision form with the lush smells of the jungle... :wink:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 11th, 2005, 12:28 pm

I saw Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King twice each on IMAX and there were always a lot of people there. But if they still didn't sell enough tickets I think it's partly because people tend to think of anything on IMAX as a boring educational film and that a lot of people are content to settle for watching a movie at home and just don't appreciate a good theatrical presentation.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » April 11th, 2005, 2:00 pm

Don't forget the cost of an IMAX ticket.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 11th, 2005, 3:33 pm

What MA said.
I would have bothered with Imax, cause... I really wanted to. But good god. The price of the tickets just stopped me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 11th, 2005, 4:30 pm

I might also point out that they re-issued films that had still been available on home video (of not DVD at the time).

They'd have been much better off putting out something like Aladdin, which had been unavailable for some time, and might have urged more people to go.

The 3D news was rumored quite a while ago, but I heard it was Pinocchio (and I'm not getting confused with P3K here) that ws on the cards. Apparently, the Dumbo 3D test didn't go down too well. Mind you, that could have been the re-making the films shot for shot into CGI features I heard about.

This new process sounds very interesting...!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » April 11th, 2005, 4:35 pm

You know what would be spectacular? Tarzan in 3-D, with all of the deep canvas backgrounds.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 13th, 2005, 10:03 pm

I have to ask ---

why do this with films that we've been happy to see in FLAT form for decades?

It's just about money, right?

I have serious doubts about how well this will work since these films were never intended to be seen in 3-D.

I've had experience in seeing 3-D films at DisneyWorld and Universal Studios.

Sure, the effect can look nice, but there's always a separated pane/FLAT look to it. And those were the films made for 3-D.

Unless they have ways to account for roundness and all that space that defines a 3-dimensional object, it's just gonna the same old fake stuff we've seen before with Terminator 3-D, Captain Eo, and all the other 3-D films.

I'm curious on how they're going to create a third dimension for films that really only have camera view...

I won't be surprised if public apathy and high hardware costs are what eventually does in this re-processing of films. That's one of the things that's kept digital video projection from becoming standard at movie theaters for years.

Keep in mind that the high cost of high-definition sets will probably keep most people from adopting high-definition DVD for years yet, too...

You can't get around cost. That's what has killed IMAX presentations for years and it puzzles me that Hollywood still doesn't understand that most couples and families with children are not going to go broke buying their entertainment...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 13th, 2005, 10:19 pm

Why do this with films that we've been happy to see in FLAT form for decades?
If they pull off the 3D effect well and an audience shows up and pays and likes it then they might do it some more, but they discontinued IMAX presentations of their movies when not many people showed up to see BatB and TLK. It might be about the money (they can't put money into producing something and then give it away for free) but if the customer feels satisfied with what they paid for then there's nothing wrong with Disney making money off of it.