Terry Pratchett passes away

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Terry Pratchett passes away

Post by Dan » March 12th, 2015, 11:13 pm

I was saddened to read this morning just as I was arriving at work that Terry Pratchett passed away today at age 66. He had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease since 2007, after having been misdiagnosed with having a minor stroke a few years earlier, and it is said to have contributed to his passing from a severe chest infection.

Pratchett is the author of the wildly popular and hugely successful fantasy-comedy series Discworld. Featuring such wonderful, colorful characters as Rincewind, Nanny Ogg, Death and his granddaughter Susan Sto Helit, and others, the books parodied life and turned it on its head, providing thought-provoking laughs and commentary of our own world. The series have been adapted in numerous mediums, including radio, video games, and both live-action and animated television programs.

My favorite, both in story and in adaptation, remains Soul Music, the first to introduce Susan. A wonderful read that parodies the rock 'n' roll scene, calling it Music with Rocks In. The animated adaptation, while looking quite crude, does a nice job visualizing the story and features Christopher Lee voicing Death.