Absolutely hilarious X-Men episode guide

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Absolutely hilarious X-Men episode guide

Post by ShyViolet » April 13th, 2015, 3:54 pm

It's on the website ComicsAlliance--an episode by episode in-depth look at the X-Men '92 animated series. Caution: there's a few adult references scattered here and there but altogether it's pretty ok. Much as I loved and still love this show, the jokes are so funny. He basically tears apart every episode, but in a more-or-less good-natured way.

http://comicsalliance.com/comicsallianc ... nels-1992/

In order to find episodes just search for them by title. They're up to the Dark Pheonix Saga. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Absolutely hilarious X-Men episode guide

Post by Randall » April 14th, 2015, 12:32 am

I never watched the cartoon too much, and then neglected the DVDs after I bought them. I've just never been too much into the X-Men, especially the Apocalypse/Mr. Sinister stuff (the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams era and the Claremont/Byrne issues are closer to my liking). However, my 7 year old boy recently expressed an interest in seeing the show (having just watched all the 1970s and 2000s Fantastic Four shows), and so we've been watching the X-Men series. In fact, ironically, we just started the Dark Phoenix Saga tonight!

I can see why X-Men fans loved the show, as it brings in so much from the comics. But man, can it be an ugly show--- so poorly drawn at times, and awkwardly animated. And the awful dialogue! Yikes. The plotting was kind of all over the place and frequently ridiculous, too. Still, it can be a hoot to watch, and it's nice to see this particular fan seeing its warts now, but still able to appreciate what it meant to him. Funny articles! Wish I had all night to read them all!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 14th, 2015, 1:18 am

I have more sentimental memories of the first episode of the 90's series, having grown up with a tape of "Pryde of the X-Men", from Hasbro's GI Joe and Transformers days. Some good points (like the "old-school" Nightcrawler), but overall, owie.

When Fox got their 90's series, thought, "Oh, good, they're giving it another try"--And I distinctly remember, when we first saw Storm and Rogue in street clothes, and then Gambit show up, thinking "Whoa...This is a NEW series. :shock: "
I was not disappointed for the rest of the first season, but oh, that second season, until the third. Double owie.
(And then that rather lackluster Lady Deathstrike two-part, but when "Coming Soon: The Phoenix Saga" appeared at the end...Second "Whoa" moment.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 14th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Randall wrote:I never watched the cartoon too much, and then neglected the DVDs after I bought them. I've just never been too much into the X-Men, especially the Apocalypse/Mr. Sinister stuff (the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams era and the Claremont/Byrne issues are closer to my liking).
Ahhh Rand how could you not like Sinister!? Claremont specifically said that he was tired of constantly writing about Magneto and wanted to do something different. (Boy can I relate to being tired of Magneto!) He is a totally awesome, complicated villain and the cartoon version of him is scary as hell yet totally hilarious at the same time. Can't wait till they put him in the films! :)

Glad you liked the site, and I would absolutely LOVE to be able to read all those old issues from the 80s but unfortunately they are very hard to get and quite expensive. :( Wish they would make a film of the Inferno story, where Sinister clones Jean Grey and creates Madelyne Pryor who Cyclops marries, etc...it would have been a great way to bring back Jean after The Last Stand and simultaneously have Cyclops actually do something. Ha ha. :)

Anyway I totally recommend this review of Reunion, part 2: trust me you will not stop laughing!!! :lol:

http://comicsalliance.com/the-x-men-epi ... on-part-2/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Randall wrote:
I can see why X-Men fans loved the show, as it brings in so much from the comics. But man, can it be an ugly show--- so poorly drawn at times, and awkwardly animated. And the awful dialogue! Yikes.
I thought they had some quite well-written stories but yeah there was definitely something to be desired when it came to the scripts. And TOTALLY agree on animation; sometimes you can sort of ignore it, but it's not easy. Also, one of my fave episodes is Courage from season 4 and talk about off-model: Morph looks different in every single shot! :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 14th, 2015, 11:34 pm

I suspect the scripts were rushed at times, which can certainly happen in television. That can account for some sloppy plotting. But some of that dialog is plain hokey! :)

And Mr. Sinister's name is silly. ;) But I assume that is Claremont's fault.

My biggest issue with Sinister and Apocalypse is that, at least half-way through the animated series, they remain cyphers--- no origin, no real explanation for who they are. They just "are." And for such powerful beings, I kinda would like more explanation.

If you'd like to catch up on the 1980s comics, I again recommend Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, or the 40 Years of X-Men DVD-ROM if you can find a copy. (I was just looking at mine tonight with my boy.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 15th, 2015, 11:16 am

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. :)

On Sinister's origin, the comic (as well as the cartoon) did address it: he was a scientist/doctor during the Victorian age who was alienated by his contemporaries for his lack of ethics. Eventually Apocalypse transformed him into an an ageless mutant with different powers. Also, his wife was ill and died despite his attempts to save her and the last word she spoke, "sinister", became his name. Actually all this is addressed in the episode "Descent" but I admit it was kind of stupid of them to make it the next to last episode of the series. :roll:

And if you think about it Magneto's name is kind of silly too. Lol. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 15th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Well, most of their names are silly, when you get right down to it. But that's comics, right?

So they left Mr. Sinister's origin until the end of the series? Yeah, that's a problem.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 15th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Yeah, it was certainly the opposite of what they should've done as a very sequential, serially based kind of show.

If Sinister ever does make it to film (I'm still sort of hoping he at least makes an appearance in Apocalypse) he really needs his own story fleshed out. You could start it in Victorian London (with, as in the cartoon, Darwin as one of his contemporaries), and go on from there, tracing his obsession with Scott and Jean Summers, Cable, etc..now that would be all kinds of awesome! :)