Natalie Cole, singing voice in Cats Don't Dance, passes away

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Natalie Cole, singing voice in Cats Don't Dance, passes away

Post by Dan » January 1st, 2016, 3:02 pm

Natalie Cole, famed singer/songwriter, passed away on New Year's Eve, December 31, at the age of 65. In a statement from the family, she had been suffering from ongoing health issues that resulted in the cancellation of a number of scheduled events in December, including one on New Year's Eve.

The daughter of legendary singer Nat King Cole, Natalie achieved fame in her own right in the 1970s with such award-winning hits as "This Will Be" and "Our Love". After a long period where her fame dropped as a result of heavy drug addiction, she engaged in a comeback with the album Everlasting and an acclaimed cover of the Bruce Springsteen hit "Pink Cadillac". Her biggest hit came in the early 1990s when she recorded an album covering her father's hits, culminating in a version of "Unforgettable" designed as a duet between father and daughter over 25 years after Nat King Cole's passing. Coupled with a memorable performance at the 1992 Grammy Awards, the version has become a favorite with listeners and radio DJs.

Natalie took a brief stab at acting later in her career, and it primarily began as the singing voice to the character Sawyer in the animated feature Cats Don't Dance. "There was something special about working with Natalie, who's a wonderful talent on her own, and whose father, Nat, was a part of Hollywood's fabulous past," said producer David Kirschner in an old interview. "Somehow I think it shows up in her interpretation of the music; there is a classic charm and romance to it."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Natalie Cole, singing voice in Cats Don't Dance, passes away

Post by Randall » January 1st, 2016, 3:18 pm

Aw, that's a shame. 65 isn't very old these days.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Natalie Cole, singing voice in Cats Don't Dance, passes away

Post by Dacey » January 1st, 2016, 3:52 pm

I kinda wish she could've done the speaking voice for Sawyer, too. Every time I watch the film, I feel like I'm hearing two different characters.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."