The Goblin King, David Bowie has passed away

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

The Goblin King, David Bowie has passed away

Post by Dan » January 11th, 2016, 5:08 am

Just found out that David Bowie passed away at 69 on January 10. According to his son Duncan Jones, he had been ill with cancer the past eighteen months.

BBC Report: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35278872

In addition to an unparalleled music career, Bowie dabbled in acting with well known roles in such films as The Man Who Fell to Earth, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, and most notably as Jareth The Goblin King in the Jim Henson directed Labyrinth. He did do a couple voice acting gigs, as Emperor Maltazard in the English dubbing of Arthur and the Invisibles and L.R.H. in an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Goblin King, David Bowie has passed away

Post by droosan » January 11th, 2016, 6:13 am

David Bowie also figures prominently in The Venture Bros as Sovereign, the shadowy leader of the Guild of Calamitous Intent (although he doesn't actually play the role himself) .. while some secondary VB characters -- such as Action Man and Major Tom -- are named after lyrics in Bowie songs.

I'd figured something must have happened when the 'new wave' audio stream I was listening to in the background last night played several Bowie classics in a row. I went online shortly afterward, and saw the news. :(

I wasn't aware he'd been ill, especially given the recent release of his latest album. He certainly packed a full and varied career into his 69 years. RIP.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 11th, 2016, 11:15 am

Just came from meeting up for a drink with some old Elstree Studios people, many of whom worked with Bowie on Man Who Fell To Earth and Labyrinth. It was a planned get together, but naturally talk of today's sad news filled the conversation. Though I wasn't the biggest Bowie fan I did certainly admire the guy and his songs, and It was nice to listen to them remember him with their personal stories (one guy had taken him for a drink one time to a pub not far from where we were sitting).

Even this morning I was surprised how affected I felt by his passing: Bowie was always kind of one of those omnipresent beings, always out there, always around, and it feels odd that he won't keep popping up now and then to remind us. RIP.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 11th, 2016, 12:29 pm

For the past two hours as of writing, Russia Today started a live stream on YouTube of fans placing tributes at Bowie's mural in Brixton with his songs playing in the background. It's very touching.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 11th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Bowie's last music video was released only four days ago. And, yes, it seems to be him saying "goodbye"...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 11th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Entertainment Tonight managed to get a nice little interview with Jennifer Connelly about working with David Bowie (and Jim Henson for that matter) on Labyrinth. The article also reminded us that this year will mark the film's 30th anniversary.

Interview: http://www.etonline.com/news/179747_lab ... _connelly/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 11th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Dan (Lord Akiyama) wrote:He did do a couple voice acting gigs, as Emperor Maltazard in the English dubbing of Arthur and the Invisibles and L.R.H. in an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
And played the boy, all grown up, in the early VHS intros to "The Snowman". (And still had his scarf.)
https://youtu.be/vi81M_WKBp8?t=40s

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 12th, 2016, 7:49 am

From just up the road to me...