General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Backstory on ET: The Atari video game

Post by ShyViolet » February 23rd, 2016, 10:09 pm

Spielberg apparently wanted more of a "Pac-Man" type game:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-355604 ... pockethits

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Backstory on ET: The Atari video game

Post by EricJ » February 23rd, 2016, 11:30 pm

There's a documentary on Showtime/Netflix, "Atari: Game Over" where they not only go into the history of Atari and Warshaw's abstract idea for the game, but was made to explore the myth of whether all those cartridges really are buried in New Mexico, and what they found when they finally dug it up.

(Although what they did find puts the rise and fall of the company more into perspective.)
Last edited by EricJ on February 24th, 2016, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 23rd, 2016, 11:46 pm

There's probably an alternate reality somewhere where the video game for E.T. 2: Nocturnal Fears is like more popular than Super Mario Bros.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2016, 5:38 am

Game Over is a good, sometimes fun doc that I urge you to check out. And little over an hour, I think. And they do clarify, from what i remember, that Spielbergo did in fact okay the game, even though I guess even he was under pressure to do so to get it in the shops on time.

Love that ad, though...wow - $39.99 for a game...BACK THEN? Wowsers. No wonder our parents made so much of a big deal when we got a new cartridge!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 24th, 2016, 10:56 am

The doc is a fantastic watch, and really puts into perspective both the creative thinking and corporate structure of Atari back in the day. As Ben said, a must see if you have Netflix. It's one of my favorites.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 24th, 2016, 9:48 pm

I have it on my Netflix list to watch... along with about 50 other things! But I do want to see it.