Tales from Weirdland

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Tales from Weirdland

Post by Tumblenerd » January 17th, 2017, 9:28 am

Hi everyone,

With some discomfort at promoting myself, I'd like to draw your attention to my YouTube channel: Tales from Weirdland.

Though I've always liked to draw, I've taken up animation only fairly recently. The channel contains the first fruits of my labor. I'm a one-man studio basically, self-taught, doing the writing, designing, animation, and music myself, though I use voice actors occasionally. I work in the old-fashioned way, pencil on paper, hand-drawn animation, then scan it and color it digitally.

I haven't really promoted my work anywhere yet, just shown it to some friends and voice actors, and instead more or less waited until I felt I had enough content to be comfortable showing it, going out there--which is what I'm doing now.

Oh, and I'm not a hit-and-run poster who goes around plastering his stuff all over the net: I'll be here, in case anyone wants to interact. If anyone has any questions, like how the videos are made, what, why, et cetera, let me know. I was pleased to see a Muppet avatar here by the way (Ben, sir): The Muppets are like my Big Bang. The Muppets and Carl Barks.

Anyway, hope to see you around my channel.
Last edited by Tumblenerd on January 30th, 2017, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Tales from Weirdland

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2017, 9:45 am

Hey Tumble, welcome to the boards. Do we know each other? I'm getting that vibe.

Oh, and you'll be pleased to meet a fellow Barks fan in Randall. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tumblenerd » January 17th, 2017, 10:52 am

Ha, no, we haven't met. At least I don't think so. I just noticed you have a Muppets avatar. I spot those immediately.

I'm pleased to see that Carl Barks more and more is getting the recognition he deserves. I rate him very highly, not just his Duck stories. Thanks for the welcome!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 17th, 2017, 10:56 pm

I'll check out your channel when I have a chance.

My first reading memory features Barks (a much-loved 1970s digest--- or maybe a pair of digests--- with stories such as Back to The Klondike, Pixilated Parrot, In Ancient Persia, and The Mummy's Ring), so he was always a big influence on my interests. It's been wonderful over the years to rediscover his work as a teenager with the Gladstone books (that was long ago!) and then keep going as an adult. Reading his stories remains a profound joy to me. A poster signed by him hangs in my home theatre/library area, and I have many Barks books in my library too.

Incidentally, I gave my son the middle name of James, after Jim Henson, so I'm a big Muppets fan as well. But Ben's dad actually worked with Jim in England, and Ben met him as a kid, so he wins!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tumblenerd » January 18th, 2017, 9:39 am

That definitely can't be topped. I still wonder occasionally what Jim Henson would be doing today.

My first reading memory, or one of the first anyway, actually is The Golden Helmet. We're talking about circa 1980 then. I'm from the Netherlands, and the Barks stories were published here as really nice looking albums. An album would feature a main story, and then perhaps one or two short stories. The covers were drawn by Daan Jippes. Mesmerizing stuff. Barks's comic panels are all intermixed with my childhood memories. Dangerous Disguise is another one I remember really well.

Do you have the Fantagraphics books? I have several, but my main collection consists of those original 1970s/1980s albums. There were a few I didn't own, and I purchased those online years later.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 23rd, 2017, 11:42 pm

I have most of the Fantagraphics books, plus many of the Gladstone albums from the 1990s. I also have Michael Barrier's great book on Barks, plus the giant Barks book Uncle Scrooge McDuck: His Life and Times, and a few others from Boom and Disney Comics. I'm sure I have collected a number of the stories over and over again by now. Each version has its own charms, but I really like what Fantagraphics is doing now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tumblenerd » January 24th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Yeah. Michael Barrier's book on Barks is on my wishlist, but it's a little tricky to get. I do have his Disney biography, and Hollywood Cartoons. Fine books.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by toneoflove » October 20th, 2017, 11:14 am

Guys, need more inspirational advice from the real scope of life?

Why don't you make a glance and have a red with this one:

https://ponbee.com/cute-quotes/