Double dipping on DVDs...how often do you do it?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Double dipping on DVDs...how often do you do it?

Post by Wonderlicious » September 13th, 2005, 9:16 am

When it comes to DVDs, do you double dip if a better version is released? Don't include double dips if you previously owned the title on video/laserdisc and then decided to get the DVD instead, they're excluded altogether, as I'm only focussing on DVDs.

I have only done so so far for two titles; Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Wizard of Oz. The former was due to the fact that I got the pointless 1 disc release that the UK was fed and decided that I should double dip and get the better 2 discer in Region 1. For The Wizard of Oz, although the old 1 disc version was good, I decided to be naughty and buy the 3 disc version.

Also, what do you do with the old versions? Do you sell them, keep them or give them to charity/friend/family?
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 13th, 2005, 10:39 am

I have the extended LOTR: ROTK but I really want the theatrical. That's the one I saw in the theaters, after all. The extended has some cool stuff but I'd rather just have the regular, you know? Saramon's fate didn't interest me all that much for some reason.

(I'm still keeping the extended of course. :wink: )

I have the Fellowship in VHS, and the regular DVD version of Two Towers.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 13th, 2005, 11:24 am

I'm pretty canny and know when to wait for the later, "deluxe" edition (I, Robot, Sin City, Mr And Mrs Smith, etc...)

I have both editions of the Rings features, for the different cuts, and wouldn't call that double dipping.

When you say you bought Wizard Of Oz - that's a pre-order, right? The 3-disc isn't out yet!

IF I do dip again, I offload on eBay or give away the original to family or friends.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 13th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Wonder might be talking about THIS version of Wizard of Oz --

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ance&s=dvd

It's the old giftset that got released in 1999.

Here's hoping the new release this year tops the 6-year-old version!

Hopefully, it has the old 1930s cartoon on it that the '99 version does.

I'm expecting that the Disney 2-disc re-releases of Tarzan and The Emperor's New Groove will pretty much be the same thing they released before.

Sorry, but no thanks in those cases! Didn't much care for TENG, and I doubt much will be added or changed with Tarzan. Both are still fairly new so I doubt there's much that can be improved with the audio and sound in both of them.

As for The Little Mermaid and Lady & The Tramp, there's a LOT of room for improvement with BOTH films on DVD! First off, NEW VIDEO/AUDIO MASTERS that aren't the same ones Disney used to produce the last laserdisc editions. Secondly, real extras for both besides the trailers. Thirdly, the original theatrical release of Lady & The Tramp. There are supposedly truncated scenes in the last few home video releases L & TT.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 13th, 2005, 9:28 pm

How often do I double-dip? Too often!

I usually sell the old disc on eBay as soon as I can. I've never been stuck with one. I've sold Star Trek movie discs for more than I've paid for the new 2-disc versions. ( My retailer was selling the 2-disc versions for 7-8 dollars!!) Then again, I've also had to sell discs for just 3-4 dollars. Grrrr...

Wizard of Oz is definitely worth re-purchasing (3-disc version for me--- I can't believe they're adding all the silent films!). I sensed the I, Robot double-dip, and waited for the latest edition. Tarzan and ENG are just rehashes of the old 2-disc sets, so I won't bother with the new ones. My latest double-dip is Ben-Hur (the new set looks amazing, even if I never got around to watching my old one--- he admits sheepishly). I held out on the Batman movies all these years, waiting for the set *finally* coming out next month. I might go for the new Hitchcocks if I knew the specs, but the old discs (even the non-anamporphic ones) are pretty good. I'm picking up the new Battlestar Galactica set, having been quite pleased to sell the miniseries disc for a ridiculous price on eBay.

The only film I've kept 2 copies of is Hellboy--- the first one for the cartoons and creator commentary, the second one for the director's cut and additional extras.

I upgraded my Alien set (with bonus 5th disc) happily. But, believe it or not, I was the only early adopter on the planet that never bought The Matrix, so buying the big set did not require a double-dip!
Last edited by Randall on September 14th, 2005, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 14th, 2005, 7:20 am

Apart from Battlestar Galactica, I can honestly say "ditto" to Rand's comments about everything, including never watching my Ben-Hur (I always seem to catch it on TCM and never even opened my copy!).

That whole post is a mirror image of what I'd say, but it's been said for me! I'm going to wait and get the 10-movie Star Trek set though.

I don't think he means the Oz giftset though - that was only a one-disc flipper.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » September 14th, 2005, 11:42 am

Ben wrote:When you say you bought Wizard Of Oz - that's a pre-order, right? The 3-disc isn't out yet!
Yes, silly me! I'm obviously not putting effort into writing posts! Fiddle dee dee! :roll:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 14th, 2005, 2:23 pm

If I know a better edition is in the works I won't buy the first (Mary Poppins and The Iron Giant are extreme examples; I like those films so much I was willing to wait several years for the better version). Replacing non-anamorphic films with newer anamorphic versions is a no brainer (Mulan I'm looking your way). Films I've almost worn down with use will be replaced since I've obviously enjoyed them so much (my old Toy Story disc was so worn from use that it wouldn't play in certain platers anymore!) Just about any Disney re-release I get just so I can hand the older copy down to the kids and keep their sticky fingerprints off my copies!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 16th, 2005, 4:46 pm

I think Oliver and Company and Mouse Tech should both get re-released with lots of extras. They're both very important as the "kickoff" films of the Disney renaissance. I think the current editions have some features but it would be awesome if they were expanded.

(Plus that hour-and-a-half long TV feature with Marie Osmond from 1987 introducing clips of Oliver and reflecting on the entire body of Disney animation should definetely, defintely be included.)

Plus Katz's contributions to Oliver SHOULD BE MENTIONED this time! :roll: I still don't see what the big deal is about having him comment on the discs, if it's about old movies why is it a conflict of interest?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!