Guilty pleasures?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Guilty pleasures?

Post by Wonderlicious » September 18th, 2005, 3:44 pm

Can anyone here admit their guilty pleasures? I am going to try to list mine, but I'll probably forget some since I have many.

Musicals: I actually like it when people burst into song for no reason whatsoever. However, I know that I shouldn't so this gets added to the list.

Romantic Comedies: I know that a lot of them are flat, wet and whippy little pieces of fluff marketted to women, but I like them all the same.

Comic Book Hero Movies: I am not a huge fan of all comic book movies, but I really like some like Spider Man. However, at times, they can be really cheesy.

Disney: I consider this less and less a guilty pleasure, and it's not on my list per se anymore, but when I really started to get back into Disney around two years ago, I felt disgusted with myself as I thought that I was liking "kid's stuff". However, with the help of boards like this, my self confidence has heightened.

The Simpsons on DVD: I bought my first Simpsons boxset last month (pathetic, I know :oops:), and now I can't stop buying them...I'm gonna go broke!

TV Shows that look into celebrity lives: I despise some of the aspects of lifestyles of the rich and famous, yet I find them endearing enough to watch bland and gossipy documentaries on them.

Motown: I have been listening to a Motown CD compilation all week. Somebody should tell me off.

Intenet: I spend a lot of time on the net and I feel guilty for doing so.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 18th, 2005, 7:59 pm

I wouldn't say those were guilty pleasures... I'd say they were an every day part of my life!! :)

Guess my real guilty pleasure would be the obscene amount of money I spend on my DVD "habit"... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » September 18th, 2005, 8:36 pm

A lot of the music I listen to is a guitly pleasure, because it's hard for me to hate very many songs.

Like, for instance, the backstreet boys and nsync are awesome.

As far as shows go, I love Roseanne. There are more, i'm sure, but i can't think of any right now.

Books: A walk to remember, and love stories in general.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 18th, 2005, 8:37 pm

Reading up on paranormal stuff is one of mine. Granted, I've got a very, very good reason for it, but still...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 18th, 2005, 8:57 pm

I totally relate to the DVD guilt, ESPECIALLY with the Simpsons. Aside from seasons 4, 5 and 6 I also have Treehouse of Horror and I want to get "Bart Wars." (Four cool Bart episodes.)

I also just got Toy Story on DVD, and I want Pocahontas as well as Cinderella.... :roll: Plus Batman: The Animated Series, which is like the coolest show ever. (Can't wait to get Volume 4).
Like, for instance, the backstreet boys and nsync are awesome.
Hey Mac I like Backstreet Boys too! :wink: Plus I think Avrile Lavigne has a really good voice and I've always liked Britney. (her songs not her voice that much). I also love Smashmouth, (but not the Shrek songs really! :wink: )
and love stories in general.

Have you seen "Love Actually"?
Granted, I've got a very, very good reason for it, but still...
What's the reason? :shock:
Last edited by ShyViolet on September 18th, 2005, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 18th, 2005, 9:01 pm

Oh - And I love dinosaur stuff.

ShyViolet wrote:What's the reason? :shock:
I'll answer that with a :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » September 19th, 2005, 10:43 am

Ben wrote:I wouldn't say those were guilty pleasures... I'd say they were an every day part of my life!! :)
After all these years of getting picked on and getting religious and cookery books thrown on my head, I've finally found someone I can relate to. Yey.
Ben wrote:Guess my real guilty pleasure would be the obscene amount of money I spend on my DVD "habit"... ;)
That's also to an extent, one of my guilty pleasures (look at the thing I wrote about The Simpsons and before that, I could have replaced the yellow family with Disney characters). I've also got a number of things that I just thought of...

Fairy Tales/Classic Fantasy: I have always had an obsession with magical folk tales and stories. From the Disney adaptations to the original versions by Hans Andersen, Lewis Carroll etc, I love them. The biggest suspects in this area are Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz; these are actually two of my most favourite stories. :oops:

Moulin Rouge soundtrack: Most of the songs in this are great, but some, like the "Lady Marmalade" cover are artistically embarassing. Yet I like to listen to them.

Shakespeare: Despite everyone else in my English Literature class thinking otherwise, I find Shakespeare to be most engaging.

Creating daft ideas for plays/films/books/shows: A punk rock version of Romeo and Juliet, a story that features an evil spinster and her gothic fairy counterpart in another realm, a musical about an evil mother and her star crossed lover of a daughter...all from my mind. Yeah, I'm sad. :p

Off the wall comic remarks: I always say really strange, sarcastic things, mainly of which I don't think people find funny.
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 19th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Wonderlicious wrote:[Creating daft ideas for plays/films/books/shows: A punk rock version of Romeo and Juliet, a story that features an evil spinster and her gothic fairy counterpart in another realm, a musical about an evil mother and her star crossed lover of a daughter...all from my mind. Yeah, I'm sad. :p

Off the wall comic remarks: I always say really strange, sarcastic things, mainly of which I don't think people find funny.
Whoa...I do the SAME things. You ain't alone.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2005, 7:54 am

Yep - I'm relating to a LOT of things in here!

Gotta come clean and admit myself as a Mariah Carey fan. Not so much nowadays, but when she was knocking out the ballad stuff up until the early 2000s, I was mental over her.

Kinda odd now, but I still follow her career on and off.

BTW, Moulin Rouge absolutely rules. It's in my car CD right now (and, yeah, I have both volumes as well as an amazingly brilliant bootleg that has extended versions, alternate tracks and deleted songs).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 20th, 2005, 11:57 am

Gotta come clean and admit myself as a Mariah Carey fan. Not so much nowadays, but when she was knocking out the ballad stuff up until the early 2000s, I was mental over her.
"When You Believe" is a beautiful song, both the pop and movie version.
:)

Shakespeare: Despite everyone else in my English Literature class thinking otherwise, I find Shakespeare to be most engaging.

Hey, he's the MAN. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » September 20th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Ben wrote:BTW, Moulin Rouge absolutely rules. It's in my car CD right now (and, yeah, I have both volumes as well as an amazingly brilliant bootleg that has extended versions, alternate tracks and deleted songs).
If you're implying that I'm saying it was poo, I never said that it was bad...as a matter of fact, "Your Song" is perhaps one of the best songs in any movie in my opinion. The thing is, I really like to listen the not so artistically great songs on the soundtrack, which whilst work well in the movie, seem like mainstream pop tunes in their original aural forms (such as "Lady Marmalade" and the "Can Can" remix by Fatboy Slim).
-Joe

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2005, 7:45 pm

Of course, "Your Song" was a pretty good tune and got along all by itself for about 30 years before Moulin Rouge came along! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » September 21st, 2005, 5:44 am

Ben wrote:Of course, "Your Song" was a pretty good tune and got along all by itself for about 30 years before Moulin Rouge came along! ;)
I know that, but the Ewan version from the film is the better rendition.

Anyway, a few more that I've just thought of...

Spice Girls: I used to be a huge fan of these when I was a kid, and I still think that the music define a lot of 90s culture, even if I shouldn't think so. The movie sucks, but isn't as bad as others say it is.

HMV: I must admit that I rarely buy things there, as they're always over priced. Needless to say, I almost always go window shopping there if I am near one.
-Joe

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 22nd, 2005, 6:40 am

Always pop in an HMV looking to pick uop a sountrack or something, but come out after looking at their inflated fees, especially for "import" items.

£24.99 for Down With Love's American CD? Nope for me!

Still think the Spice Girls put out some great throwaway bubblegum pop music, but their film did stink, I hate to tell you. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » September 22nd, 2005, 11:22 am

Yeah but they were hot so it was okay.