Which do you prefer...vintage or modern animation?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

I prefer...

Vintage!
44%
Modern!
56%

Total votes: 9

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Which do you prefer...vintage or modern animation?

Post by Wonderlicious » September 22nd, 2005, 12:56 pm

I was just wondering this; what type of animation do you prefer the most? Vintage (pre 1980) or Modern (post 1980)? And there's no "I like both as much as each other" option...

...personally, I prefer vintage animation. That's not to say that I don't like modern animation (I adore anything Pixar, along with The Simpsons, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid etc), but I think that vintage animation wins out just a little bit, as more masterpieces seem to lie there. From Looney Tunes and Silly Symphonies to Swing Shift Cinderella and Pinocchio, vintage animation wins for me.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » September 22nd, 2005, 2:57 pm

Post 1980. Especially in the past 15 years. The artwork is a lot cleaner, the lines are smoother... It looks a lot nicer to me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 22nd, 2005, 5:19 pm

Macaluso wrote:Post 1980. Especially in the past 15 years. The artwork is a lot cleaner, the lines are smoother... It looks a lot nicer to me.
Same here. Or maybe I'm just jaded.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 22nd, 2005, 11:22 pm

If I had to choose 1....I'd say vintage.

Cinderella, Snow White, Pinnochio, Fantasia and other films just had these MOMENTS that you can't compare with anything that came after...1970. Even though Beauty and the Beast comes close (with the death/resurrection of the Beast scene), we haven't seen anything quite like that since Walt's time.
Last edited by ShyViolet on September 23rd, 2005, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 22nd, 2005, 11:55 pm

Uh, you call pre-1980 "vintage"? Hoo boy. You must be a youngster. I'm just in my 30s, but...

I'll vote vintage, but by that I mean pre-1950!