Resources for keeping track of DVD releases

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Resources for keeping track of DVD releases

Post by GeorgeC » October 10th, 2005, 4:03 pm

I don't know of any great sites for general animation releases, but here's how I keep track of general DVD AND anime releases...

www.imdb.com -- maintained by volunteers for most entries, it usually does a good job of updating on Monday to tell you what Tuesday's new DVD releases are. Be aware, though, that sometimes it falls behind in releases and some DVDs/DVD sets have already been out two weeks by the time IMDB shows them as coming out. Otherwise, an excellent resource with links to Amazon.com to purchase said-DVDs in listings or read more detailed synopses of the DVDs. Disney/Warners/HB releases get mentions here, of course. Your mileage will vary for other studio releases. Forget about mentions of anime releases unless said releases are the latest overhyped anime features or releases by a big US studio (Disney, Dreamworks, or Columbia/Sony).

www.animeonDVD.com -- I almost can't believe I'm recommending this site. I have major disagreements with the condescending attitude and elitist tendencies of its webmaster/founder, BUT it's really the only decent site for keeping track of anime releases. (The reviews of said-releases on this site are sometimes so far off from my own perceptions and tastes that I generally no longer rely on them.) The upcoming releases link on the left-side of the main page AND the Sunday entries list the upcoming weeks' anime DVD releases in Region 1 (US/Canada).

www.thedigitalbits.com -- One of THE BEST DVD sites out there and one of my favorite websites, period. The webmaster/founder is an all-around good guy and big movie enthusiast. This is the site to watch to see how the next-generation DVD war degenerates (it's looking increasingly like that WILL happen -- hold onto your standard DVD/progressive scan players for quite a while longer, folks!) and what the latest rumors and upcoming DVD events are.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 10th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Hopefully you'll have a better resource one of these days...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » October 10th, 2005, 5:56 pm

I'll give my list of things that you should try...

www.hometheaterforum.com
This is mainly discussion, but one can find news on that forum.

www.ultimatedisney.com
Although focussing on Buena Vista releases, seeing as how they release some anime (Studio Ghibli in particular), go for it.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk
Although focussing on British DVDs mainly, a lot of news on R1 American DVDs pops up from time to time.

www.dvdanswers.com
This answers questions about DVDs. :P
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 10th, 2005, 7:46 pm

www.dvdtoons.com

But then, you know I'd say that! :)