Books to Read

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Books to Read

Post by fani » November 13th, 2005, 1:04 pm

Just curious but what fiction books do ppl in this forum read?

I just read Night Watch by Terry Pratchett, and I'm a shameless n00b Discworld fan

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 13th, 2005, 4:07 pm

Harry Potter. Yup. Big fan of Harry Potter....

*squee* I get to see GoF on opening day with my nerds...er...library club.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 13th, 2005, 5:23 pm

Harry Potter, A Walk to Remember, Whirligig, 5 people you meet in heaven... hmm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 14th, 2005, 7:38 am

I've seen The Five People You Meet in Heaven movie. It's good. Haven't read it, though....I also love No More Dead Dogs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2005, 10:39 am

I am re-reading Lord Of The Rings at the moment, after a slate of quick thriller reads and Harry Potter.

Not read LOTR since being a teenager, and finally watched the extended Return Of The King the other night, so it put me in the mood.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » November 15th, 2005, 12:10 am

Lensey Namioka's Chinese AMerican kids having these conflicted cultural idea between the "West" and "East" is another one of my favorites. It can be condescending the way she writes things but some of her novel are actually fun to read--like the Yang siblings series

Soe Hok Gie's biography--by John Maxwell, a bio on Indonesia's cultural revolutionary

stuff by Pramoedya Ananta Toer

used to read HP until Order of The Phoenix really dissapointed me

I'm sadly one of those people so "behind" in books!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 15th, 2005, 12:35 am

Ben wrote:I am re-reading Lord Of The Rings at the moment, after a slate of quick thriller reads and Harry Potter.

Not read LOTR since being a teenager, and finally watched the extended Return Of The King the other night, so it put me in the mood.

The LOTR books are a LOT easier to read after you turn 20 for some reason.

I had an easy time getting through The Hobbit but it was a chore for me to read the LOTR books in my early teens.

I was so turned off by them that I didn't re-read them (and completely read The Return of the King) until the movies came out!

(Fortunately, I KEPT my paperbacks of LOTR so I didn't have to spend that money again OR borrow the books from the library.)

Of course, by that time I had taken a course in speed reading so it was a breeze to get through the slow part in The Fellowship of the Ring.

That book is by far the worst-reading book in the whole trilogy... A bunch of Fellowship got cut and sections of The Two Towers got moved into the film versions of Fellowship and Return of the King.

Still, if these books were written today, they could probably be anywhere from 10-25% shorter than Tolkien's length. Personally, I agreed with all the cuts Jackson made from the stories and the movies DO serve the novels well. There was a ton of stuff in Fellowship that really didn't have to be in the movies in my honest opinion...

Now if only somebody could do justice to Alexander Lloyd's "Chronicles of Prydain." Disney's Black Cauldron just doesn't cut it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2005, 9:56 am

The movies played with story structure, but I agree that there was nothing that felt missing, especially in the EE versions.

That's why I wanted to go back and read again, to pick out those bits I'd forgotten. When you watch the movie, it all comes flodding back and you don't miss the bits that were cut (or at least very rarely).

So I'm going at them again. Wonder if they get even easier reading after 30? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 15th, 2005, 12:32 pm

I've read the Hobbit and the Fellowship, but I haven't gotten through the second one. I think I'll wait 'till I'm older.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 20th, 2005, 8:36 pm

How about the new Jeffrey Katzenberg biography which still hasn't come out, or been written for that matter?? I'm still waiting for that one... :roll:
*patiently waiting*
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » November 21st, 2005, 8:28 am

ShyViolet wrote:How about the new Jeffrey Katzenberg biography which still hasn't come out, or been written for that matter??
I bet you could write it, Violet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2005, 9:54 am

No, it would be too biased.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2005, 7:50 pm

Probably.... :oops: :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!