Disney's Christopher Robin

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Re: Disney's Christopher Robin

Postby Ben » March 6th, 2019, 4:41 am

We loved this at our screening last Friday evening, it was sweet as Pooh's Hunny! Such a shame they didn’t get behind this more as it was so much better than A Wrinkle In Time, or other "lesser A pictures". Indeed, I just saw Wrinkle, too, and couldn’t believe how amateur it felt as a movie, and it got a lot more promotion and attention, which Pooh deserved absolutely.

I actually giggled excitedly when the credits nudged over and the images of a very British seaside flickered up as Richard Sherman began to sing! "That’s the guy who co-wrote all the original Pooh songs!", I was pleased to tell everyone, since I knew they wouldn’t have immediately made that connection, to which they all responded appreciatively. Obviously, when you knew who the guy was, it made things even more poignant, especially that second song, which not only caps the movie off nicely, but is a wonderful sign-off for Mr Sherman, too...not that we want him to stop anytime soon!

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Randall » March 6th, 2019, 11:07 am

Hey, so you did like it! I'm glad. I knew you'd all appreciate the Sherman appearance at the end, which quite tickled me as well. I made the same exclamation when watching it at home with my family. It was a sweet film, even if the "final solution" of giving everyone vacations doesn't hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever. :?

Wrinkle was pretty wrinkled. Bleh. I liked the kids in it okay, but the film never really took off. An early trailer had seemed promising, but it's not hard to make an exciting 2-minute film out of 2 hours of footage.

Can't let it go dept.: They put a big push behind Wrinkle, but couldn't be bothered to promote John Carter? (Not to mention the idiocy of not going with the original title in the first place.) What a shame. Yeah, I'm still bitter about how A Princess of Mars was marketed, made only worse when you see what mediocre "TV movie"-level films do get an undeserved push. We'll see how Nutcracker goes down when it hits Netflix in a few months.

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » March 6th, 2019, 11:36 am

John Carter got a fairly big push stateside, with Disney even giving it a Super Bowl TV spot. It just didn't necessarily get a good marketing campaign, as many people had no idea the film was even set on Mars.

As for Nutcracker, if you enjoyed Burton's Alice, you'll probably like it. Keira Knightley is easily the highlight (for me anyway), giving a performance unlike anything she's ever done before as the Sugar Plum Fairy.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » March 6th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Dacey wrote:As for Nutcracker, if you enjoyed Burton's Alice, you'll probably like it.

....IF. :evil:

(But then, if you did, you probably went to see "Alice Through the Looking Glass", too. 'Nuff said.)

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » March 6th, 2019, 6:47 pm

...which was actually awesome in its own right.