Harry Potter

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Re: Harry Potter

Postby Dacey » November 11th, 2016, 7:25 pm

Yates confirmed for entire Fantastic Beasts series...for better or for worse...

http://www.avclub.com/article/diretor-d ... pot-245804
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » November 12th, 2016, 1:10 am

Dacey wrote:Yates confirmed for entire Fantastic Beasts series...for better or for worse...

For hit or for flop...For series or for single...Till death does it part. :roll:

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » November 18th, 2016, 11:16 pm

Just saw Fantastic Beasts. Quick review:

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Randall » November 19th, 2016, 8:40 am

That's the feeling I got from the trailer.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » November 19th, 2016, 9:42 am

It's been getting very positive comments here, which surprised me since I was kind of feeling the same. I was just about to get excited at the good notices I've been reading, but good to have a check on expectations!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby gaastra » November 20th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Fantastic beasts did well at the box office with 75m! Good news it's a hit with adults. Bad news it's a bust with kids! Looks like the early fear that not having kid or teen main heroes would hurt the film was right! Only 18% of the people seeing the film are kids! Ouch!

Topping the weekend box office, WB's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them delivered an estimated $75 million, matching industry expectations while falling below BoxOfficeMojo's lofty projections, which banked too heavily on not only the Harry Potter fanbase, but a new group of younger moviegoers. As it turns out, only 18% of the opening weekend audience was under the age of 18 while 55% was over the age of 35, which suggests previous Harry Potter fans showed up, but the new generation wasn't quite as inspired.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4243&p=.htm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » November 20th, 2016, 5:46 pm

gaastra wrote:Fantastic beasts did well at the box office with 75m! Good news it's a hit with adults. Bad news it's a bust with kids! Looks like the early fear that not having kid or teen main heroes would hurt the film was right! Only 18% of the people seeing the film are kids! Ouch!

Technically, that's probably because of the Myth of Friday Numbers--Parents usually take their kids on weekends.

But yeah, this thing was so front-loaded it couldn't stand up straight. Warner, of course, thought they had this BO weekend before it even opened, and got to work on The Next Five, but I was hoping for that surprise dropoff, since all the pilgrimage-weekend fans got their wish from the poster, but in the end, Nobody Really Cares About Side Stories.
(Or as I put it, "Shakespeare never wrote a play about Rosencrantz & Guildenstern...Tom Stoppard wrote a play about how nobody cared what happened to Rosencrantz & Guildenstern.")
I was hoping to blog about it over the weekend, but looks like I may have to wait for the second weekend's numbers before getting a chance to gloat.

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » November 20th, 2016, 6:04 pm

For what it's worth, I found Fantastic Beasts to be quite fun. David Yates perhaps seemed to be holding it back some, but this is easily the lightest he's been on his feet with the franchise so far. And the four leads were extremely charming and likable.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » November 21st, 2016, 4:30 am

EricJ wrote:Warners got to work on The Next Five...

The next four.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » November 21st, 2016, 8:47 am

Ben wrote:
EricJ wrote:Warners got to work on The Next Five...

The next four.

Yeah, don't give them any ideas!

Dacey wrote:For what it's worth, I found Fantastic Beasts to be quite fun. David Yates perhaps seemed to be holding it back some, but this is easily the lightest he's been on his feet with the franchise so far. And the four leads were extremely charming and likable.

click to reveal content
Meh: not bad, but not great. Four main characters were fun. Effects were cool. But the story was just not there - very amateurish and cliched! (The scene at the speakeasy encapsulates the problems with the story.)