Delgo

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DewyDewer » December 15th, 2008, 9:43 am

James, I liked your Delgo review and wish it, too, had had better exposure. I saw Delgo, and really enjoyed it. Along with what I'm simply calling "vintage", there was a great deal of new elements that I'd never seen before.

It's apparent that this group is very capable (and obviously tenacious) - from all of the new visuals that Delgo contained, and the super-stunning visuals of a newly animated piece that previewed before the feature (also by the makers of Delgo, and like nothing I've seen before), I'm excited to see what comes next from this company.

The marketing strategy for Delgo was it's biggest problem. But, I still believe there is life for it somewhere. I actually saw it twice, and enjoyed it more the second time... having grasped the story, I could take in even more of the beautiful details.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2008, 1:16 pm

Phil wrote:I think the fact that Animated News didn't do a Delgo banner really hurt their box office! :D
Well...we <I>did</I> actually have a positive pre-release review up instead! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » December 15th, 2008, 4:28 pm

$424 per theater???

Ouch, ouch, ouch!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 15th, 2008, 4:33 pm

That's just two tickets, a large popcorn, medium drink and one candy!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 16th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Actually, James is right. I read an article that broke down the math and apparently it amounts to two tickets per showing per theater. It takes the record as the biggest flop in movie history. Ouch, indeed.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » December 17th, 2008, 5:24 pm

I waited in years!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » December 22nd, 2008, 12:33 am

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 22nd, 2008, 7:22 am

Wow. That's gotta hurt.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 22nd, 2008, 3:49 pm

Yeah, at least "Treasure Planet" got three weeks before Eisner stomped his feet, took his ball and went home before the big kids laughed at him...

(Not saying that keeping it around for after-Christmas vacation week would've rescued Delgo, but at least TP fans don't have to worry about being the mainstream's most readily picked-on punchline anymore.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 22nd, 2008, 10:20 pm

Well that seems to seal the fate of Delgo for a non-theatrical release in Australia. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it will at least get released on DVD in the near future. But considering it took Everyone's Hero 2 years to be released in Australia. I'm gonna assume that Delgo will be released in the year 2060 in Australia.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 5th, 2009, 11:22 pm

So has anybody gone out and purchased Delgo on DVD? I wish that I had an all region DVD since apparently Fox, who hold the international rights now, don't plan on releasing it internationally until 2010. I wonder if the DVD will help more people discover the movie.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 6th, 2009, 10:56 am

Probably not. The DVD has been getting like zero marketing here in the US. I doubt that most people even know that it's out.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."