Your Thoughts on Fantasy Flicks based on books

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Your Thoughts on Fantasy Flicks based on books

Post by fani » December 10th, 2005, 12:20 am

I honestly love LOTR and HP films and Narnia books and also Discworld series. But my question is, do you guys think lately there's been a bit too much trend on fantasy literature turned into films? LAst I heard Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy is going to be filmed.

I feel like some books are better left alone because I want them to only exist in my head.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 10th, 2005, 1:00 am

Hell no. Let's see more!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 10th, 2005, 9:57 am

Dont forget Eragon and Artimous Foul, fani. ;)

I think I spelled Artimous wrong...ah well. Too lazy to look it up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 10th, 2005, 11:06 am

Maybe Disney will finally greenlight that long awaited Black Cauldron prequel

in CG of course

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 10th, 2005, 12:57 pm

If a studio really wants to attract the same audiences that went to Lord of the Rings, Passion of the Christ, and Chronicles of Narnia, I think it needs to make Pilgrim's Progress, the ultimate Christian fantasy novel.

Some of you may have never heard of the book. However, I dare you to walk into a revival and announce, "Pigrim's Progress is being made, with a $150 million budget." The "ooh's" and "aah's" that would allow might be deafening.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » December 10th, 2005, 2:02 pm

You mean the Charles Dickens novel?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » December 10th, 2005, 2:03 pm

Meg:
Artemis Fowl:P Good books!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 10th, 2005, 2:33 pm

fani wrote:You mean the Charles Dickens novel?
No, Pilgrim's Progress was written by John Bunyan, who penned the tale on various scraps of paper he found while in prison. The book is like a blend of Lord of the Rings and Alice in Wonderland, filled with Christian metaphors like Chronicles of Narnia.

Here's everything you need to know about Pilgrim's Progress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrim's_Progress. The site even has a link to a free e-version of the book.

Trust me, a big-budget film version of Pilgrim's Progress would probably be huge, especially in the Christian community.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 10th, 2005, 3:25 pm

Mickey wrote:If a studio really wants to attract the same audiences that went to Lord of the Rings, Passion of the Christ, and Chronicles of Narnia, I think it needs to make Pilgrim's Progress, the ultimate Christian fantasy novel.

Some of you may have never heard of the book. However, I dare you to walk into a revival and announce, "Pigrim's Progress is being made, with a $150 million budget." The "ooh's" and "aah's" that would allow might be deafening.
WAIT A MINUTE PASSSION OF TEH CHRIST ISNT FANTAZY Image

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 10th, 2005, 3:47 pm

I didn't say it was.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 10th, 2005, 3:49 pm

Macaluso wrote:
Mickey wrote:If a studio really wants to attract the same audiences that went to Lord of the Rings, Passion of the Christ, and Chronicles of Narnia, I think it needs to make Pilgrim's Progress, the ultimate Christian fantasy novel.

WAIT A MINUTE PASSSION OF TEH CHRIST ISNT FANTAZY Image
That smiley is AMAZING.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2005, 7:02 pm

When Return Of The King won the Best Picture Oscar and made that much moolah, the bar was set for what kind of films we would see for the next ten years.

Once a film of that type breaks the mold by so much, the rules change and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

The rewards are just too tempting for the studios not to try and catch lightning in a bottle twice...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » December 13th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Ben wrote:When Return Of The King won the Best Picture Oscar and made that much moolah, the bar was set for what kind of films we would see for the next ten years.

Once a film of that type breaks the mold by so much, the rules change and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

The rewards are just too tempting for the studios not to try and catch lightning in a bottle twice...
Of course we had the musical craze following Chicago and we saw what came of that. Although, I will say I just got back from Rent and it was GREAT! :D
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"