Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 27th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Well, it was a comedy as "Rapunzel: Unbraided" but supposedly got re-vamped to be serious under Keane's direction. Now it looks to be a comedy again.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » March 27th, 2009, 7:25 pm

I find the word "comedy" to describe this potentially epic and grande fairytale a little troubling! I rather hear, sweeping love story, epic fairy tale, classic, etc, etc. Not... it's a great comedy... But we'll wait and see...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » March 28th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Here's a report from someone on deviant-art who recently had a chance to visit the disney studios. Her name is Bri-Chan:

The art for rapunzel is SO MUCH MORE compelling and interesting than the stuff that's shown up online because you can tell they've gone so much further in the character design and plot. there were scenes of rapunzel singing in a tavern, having a palm-reading of some sort in her tower, a scene of her so excited to be out in the forest she's splashing in a puddle of mud, and a beautiful scene from the ending i won't give away

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by surfnspy » March 29th, 2009, 6:09 pm

How many animated films have there been in the past 20 years that have NOT been comedies? Just because it is a comedy doesn't mean it won't have heart and a real romance.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2009, 8:08 am

But we've had those to death, the latest being Monsters Vs Aliens, which is entertaining but as cookie cutter CGI comedy as they come.

I think with this what many are actually hoping for is the reverse: a romatic drama with touches of comedy.

I think this was the direction Glen was working too, as well, though obviously his replacements are happier to go the comedic route, as they did with Bolt.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » March 30th, 2009, 10:12 am

Ben wrote:But we've had those to death, the latest being Monsters Vs Aliens, which is entertaining but as cookie cutter CGI comedy as they come.

I think with this what many are actually hoping for is the reverse: a romatic drama with touches of comedy.

I think this was the direction Glen was working too, as well, though obviously his replacements are happier to go the comedic route, as they did with Bolt.
Exactly, I'd rather have a movie with a dramatic love story at the core, with comedy thrown in to add some air to the story. Much like Beauty and the Beast which first and foremost was a dramatic, complicated love story. Where the comedy was used as a vehicle to further the story and not the main objective when telling the story. There's a BIG difference there!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 30th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Ben wrote:But we've had those to death, the latest being Monsters Vs Aliens, which is entertaining but as cookie cutter CGI comedy as they come.

I didn't experience Bolt as a comedy at all. It had more heart and emotional scenes than Meet the Robinsons, Chicken Little or Home on the Range.

In fact (and here it gets complex) I viewed Bolt as a metaphor for the state of WDAS and all the changes that took place. Penny's manager, the whole exaggaration of the movie studio environment and Bolt eventually "coming home"... it's all about Disney's animation studio.

Bolt saving Penny was a very emotional and powerful scene. I'm not saying I teared up, but it's been a long time since I was moved by a Disney film. New Groove was probaply the last.

In my opinion, the best Disney film is one that perfectly blands humor and heart. The Little Mermaid is in my opinion closest to that. For every laugh there should be a tear, right?

And we shouldn't worry about Rapunzel. Just because the director said in an interview that it's going to be very funny doesn't mean it's going to be Shrek-like laugh riot. The main story IS the romance. And Lasseter is big on story so I'm sure in the end we're going to be moved by the love story. And we'll get some laughs along the way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 31st, 2009, 7:55 am

Didnt someone mention that Alan menken is doing the music of this movie?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » May 5th, 2009, 7:40 am

There's a new article including an interview with the directors and apparently a bunch of concept art for Rapunzel in the new D23 fanclub magazine. Does anyone have the magazine yet and can provide us with scans? I'm REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY curious!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » May 5th, 2009, 11:26 am

here's a first look, from http://allthingsdiz.blogspot.com/:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 5th, 2009, 12:22 pm

She looks like an abused child,thought she sorta looks like Cinderella and Aurora.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » May 5th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:She looks like an abused child
Well she has been locked in a tower most of her life.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » May 5th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Well she has been locked in a tower for most of her life.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 5th, 2009, 2:24 pm

EHH123 wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:She looks like an abused child
Well she has been locked in a tower for most of her life.
I know but still,wait,she is an abused child.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 5th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Ohh pretty, so painterly. I wonder if they are still trying to get it to look super duper painterly using the 3d programs and such. ^.^
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]