Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 9th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Yeah, looks like concept art, ugly, but yes. Comes no where near the beauty of that early test footage, which I still hope the final version at least resembles.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 9th, 2009, 5:21 pm

I like her desgin but the style of the picture looks like a fanart,thought I have a picture of a test with Rapunzel running but it only showed her back,it's from the final version? I think that the final version will look even prettier then that early footage :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Prince Kido » March 9th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Please, can you share this photo of her running please? :)
[url=http://davidgilson.blogspot.com/][img]http://davidgilson.free.fr/petitpoulet/banblog2.jpg[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » March 10th, 2009, 4:59 am

I think he means this one, since this image is about 2 years old and they only started actual production recently this is more then likely only pre-production test footage!

And that new piece... definately fan art! Absolutely 100% not official art!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 10th, 2009, 5:30 am

Can someone help this confused person who thought he knew how an animated film was made. I was always under the impression that it took about 4 years to make one film. Now I understand that people can take over from time to time, but I'm really perplezed with how Rapunzel with just under 2 years of production is going to be completed on time. Expecially since it's been announced there is a new composer which means new songs which I assume would require some retooling of the story to make them fit like only Menken can do.

Does this mean that evrything has been thrown out and they are starting from scratch. Or what? I'm really confused with how a project can be taken over with 2 years to go after years of production and still be quality stuff.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » March 10th, 2009, 7:14 am

Bill1978 wrote:Can someone help this confused person who thought he knew how an animated film was made. I was always under the impression that it took about 4 years to make one film. Now I understand that people can take over from time to time, but I'm really perplezed with how Rapunzel with just under 2 years of production is going to be completed on time. Expecially since it's been announced there is a new composer which means new songs which I assume would require some retooling of the story to make them fit like only Menken can do.

Does this mean that evrything has been thrown out and they are starting from scratch. Or what? I'm really confused with how a project can be taken over with 2 years to go after years of production and still be quality stuff.
From what I understand they started the final storyboarding process at the end of 2008. All the stuff they did before that was story research, pre production and computer tests. Production has now really started, BUT I think by now, the look of the characters is roughly defined, even though there are also reports of characters getting dropped and some invented now that they are retooling the story. It's rather confusing indeed, but the look and feel of everything is pretty much locked down as far as I understand!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 10th, 2009, 9:16 am

I was about to but robster already it :) yeah,that's the picture,Rapunzel Unbraided was already canceled back then so I think it's from the final version.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2009, 11:05 am

Remember that it only takes roughly just over a year of actual, hard core animation. All those classic Disney pictures...they were only ever in animation for a year or so.

So factor in the story and design processes have been going on for a LOT longer than that, and given that we have two full years to go I'd say they're well timed to complete it ahead of schedule. And don't forget that Menken has probably been well involved for a length of time before his official announcement.

Very often someone like him would be involved earlier on as a try out period and, if it wasn't working he could leave without negative publicity. This way around, he's probably been on it six months to a year already but looks like the dude who comes in and makes it as it should be.

These things are always well in advance of production beforer we are even aware of them...the unfortunate situation here is that much of the pre-announced production has been taking place in "public" before the groove has been found.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 10th, 2009, 11:14 am

That picture that Once posted is definitely fan-art. You've got to give them credit though, sticking it up on a cork-board, taking a blurry photo in bad lighting, making sure JUUUUST enough of the Disney logo is visible.

Ways to tell:

1. Rapunzel is not a hand-drawn movie, so our concept art doesn't look like that.
2. Sorry, but the quality level of the drawing itself.
3. Rapunzel herself doesn't look like that.

Think closer to the picture Glen is showing. Not exactly that, but it's a good starting point. I know you guys are hungry for images. You'll just have to be satisfied by what's already out there.

By the way, we DO have a princess movie coming out this year. Best to focus on that one first! ;-)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » March 10th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Sullivan wrote:That picture that Once posted is definitely fan-art. You've got to give them credit though, sticking it up on a cork-board, taking a blurry photo in bad lighting, making sure JUUUUST enough of the Disney logo is visible.

Ways to tell:

1. Rapunzel is not a hand-drawn movie, so our concept art doesn't look like that.
2. Sorry, but the quality level of the drawing itself.
3. Rapunzel herself doesn't look like that.

Think closer to the picture Glen is showing. Not exactly that, but it's a good starting point. I know you guys are hungry for images. You'll just have to be satisfied by what's already out there.

By the way, we DO have a princess movie coming out this year. Best to focus on that one first! ;-)
Just as I suspected! :)

When do you think we'll get our first look of Rapunzel? Maybe during Siggraph in july/august this year or would that still be a little too early? I'm suspecting a new trailer for "Princess and the Frog" to come out with "Up" and then a teaser for Rapunzel on "Princess and the Frog", maybe.

From what I know now Rapunzel is in storyboarding phase, retooling the story to it's final version. Do you know if any drastic changes have been made since Glen Keane left in terms of the tone of the movie? As there were reports that the movie dealt with pretty adult and slightly dark themes. I'd hate to see this movie be turned into something "too fluffy and comical". I'm hoping for a movie that is similar in tone as "Beauty and the Beast". Epic, grande, with strong characters and a good balance between drama and comedy, light and dark.

I'm also very excited about Alan Menken wanting to emulate the musical style of Cat Stevens and Joni Mitchell for the songs in the movie. I can fully imagine Rapunzel turning into a child of nature, while locked up in her tower, fully connecting to the only world she knows and has surrounding her at that moment, while longing to see what's beyond the horizon, literally.

And the addition of Strauss being an inspiration for the score of the movie makes me think I'll be getting what I'm longing for. This project is very special to me, since it's my dream project ever since I was a child. I even wrote my own version and made my own designs when I was just starting my study of animation, long before Disney started production on their version. Here are some of my designs from way back then:

again, these sketches are my own designs and have nothing to do with the upcoming Disney feature!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 10th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Sullivan - can you attest to the validity of this image?:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OO7WbmARD08/S ... el%2B2.jpg
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 10th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Real, but not current.

Nice drawings, Robster. I'm not going to answer any of your other questions. I hope you like the movie when it's done!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 10th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Understandable! Thank you. I'm currently more interested in "The Princess and the Frog", anyways. I'm glad it got a release date change!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » March 11th, 2009, 4:40 am

Sullivan wrote:Nice drawings, Robster. I'm not going to answer any of your other questions. I hope you like the movie when it's done!
I didn't really expect you could :) But it was worth a shot. Maybe you can say if you are excited about the project or not. Enthusiasm is always good :)

And thanx for the compliments :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 12th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Thanks robster and Ben re: the explaination on how an animted film is created. My silly brain thought that 5 years of production meant drawing for 5 years. Makes sense that once most of the storyboards and designs are done that it's easy to finish a film quickly. I'll stop worrying about the end result of Rapunzel looking rushed now.